OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that happen. Have you been able to keep them all fed? I may just pop by an LFS and get a similar population of inverts but more diverse
Yep. When I first got them I didn't have any algae so I popped an algae wafer in here and there.

Now I'm going through the ugly stage and there's plenty.

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. When I first got them I didn't have any algae so I popped an algae wafer in here and there.

Now I'm going through the ugly stage and there's plenty.
I'm going lights off for the first two months, just to help avoid the ugly stage, and let biofilm cover rocks

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad idea.

I searched hermit crab shells on Amazon. I got the mini ones. Some are still on the big side but there's like 10 that are usable. Was only $10.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this WaveMaker guard for my anemone.

The anxiety was just too much, lol.

It's made specifically for the hygger mini. Some guy on etsy is 3d printing them. He's doing a great job,the shipping was fast, and the fit is excellent. Can highly recommend!

(excuse the microbubbles, this picture was right after a water change)

20211219_181133.jpg

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice dude. We started basically the same tank 3 months ago. Honestly you can probably drop some corals in there now.

Live rock/sand and we seeded tank w Dr Tim’s bacteria and two baby clowns literally week 1. Don’t think we ever showed any ammonia/no2 so kind of think the cycling not really necessary.

week 3 we started adding some softies. Xenia, gsp and a Kenya tree. Trying to grow gsp up back wall too!

but then we started adding lps with some Black Friday deals and they are doing awesome. I’d look into just starting w lps. So much cooler options than the softies. Duncan’s, torch, ricordia mushrooms, acans and candy cane. Running stock light as well…but added a cheap Amazon submersible led tube that we mounted into the hood for some extra actinic. Was like $10.

Following your progress. Want to hear how that bta does!

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice dude. We started basically the same tank 3 months ago. Honestly you can probably drop some corals in there now.

Live rock/sand and we seeded tank w Dr Tim’s bacteria and two baby clowns literally week 1. Don’t think we ever showed any ammonia/no2 so kind of think the cycling not really necessary.

week 3 we started adding some softies. Xenia, gsp and a Kenya tree. Trying to grow gsp up back wall too!

but then we started adding lps with some Black Friday deals and they are doing awesome. I’d look into just starting w lps. So much cooler options than the softies. Duncan’s, torch, ricordia mushrooms, acans and candy cane. Running stock light as well…but added a cheap Amazon submersible led tube that we mounted into the hood for some extra actinic. Was like $10.

Following your progress. Want to hear how that bta does!
The bta is going great! I might have to end up getting new lights, I'm following his health closely.

Link me to your build thread if you have one! Would love to follow along.

Corals will be coming soon. We just overdid it on Christmas lol. Waiting for the bank account to replenish.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this WaveMaker guard for my anemone.

The anxiety was just too much, lol.

It's made specifically for the hygger mini. Some guy on etsy is 3d printing them. He's doing a great job,the shipping was fast, and the fit is excellent. Can highly recommend!

(excuse the microbubbles, this picture was right after a water change)

20211219_181133.jpg
Great nem guard! Does food and detritus get caught in it? I made a DIY one and found turkey basting it a few times a week helped a ton.

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it does tend to get gunked up easily but I'll just take a toothbrush to it every water change.

Guys, I bought my first coral!

Bought a big piece of GSP and some orange mushrooms.

I'm visiting family right now, so the corals will need to be in a bag for about 5 hours until I make it back home.

I'm sure they'll be fine though.

I also ordered an AI prime 16hd and BRS DIY mesh lid kit.

So lots of updates coming soon :)

I'm very excited.

The only thing I'm worried about is I don't have an ATO yet, but I'm sure I can top off manually for a few weeks until I get one.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have two evos going, one is highly automated and the other is a qt/ holding tank for corals… the qt doesn’t get water changes frequently and is manually topped of when I remember. Once a day sometimes two…. My low maintenance does amazingly well, so don’t stress on the ato till you can afford it. It will help out a lot but can be done without

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have two evos going, one is highly automated and the other is a qt/ holding tank for corals… the qt doesn’t get water changes frequently and is manually topped of when I remember. Once a day sometimes two…. My low maintenance does amazingly well, so don’t stress on the ato till you can afford it. It will help out a lot but can be done without
Just dropped 370 on the light, flex arm, coral, and dip.

So that ato will have to wait. All about keeping the wife happy lol.

Nice to know your tank is doing good with low maintenance.

I think the ato is all I have left to get, besides media bags and media. What do you run?

I was thinking purigen or chemiclean.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my tank I run filter floss and a small amount of activated carbon and that’s it. I also have a uv sterilizer but it has been off for about a month now

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on my prime to get here, I went ahead and put together the brs diy mesh lid.

It's perfect.

20211226_181455.jpg
20211226_181450.jpg

Attachments

• 20211226_181455.jpg
    20211226_181455.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here's my green star polyp and mushroom over the weekend.

Anyone know specifically what type of mushroom this is? The bright orange really attracted me to it.

20211226_113301.jpg
20211226_113305.jpg

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to post this much clearer picture of my clownfish that my sister took with her iPhone 12.

Starting to see little coraline spots on my rocks. Exciting!

received_205642951773832.jpeg
received_1759200197601924.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my ai prime today.

I downloaded the David Saxby profile and set an acclimation starting at 30 percent for 7 days, since I only have 2 corals.

Is this all I need to do?

I'm pretty overwhelmed with the amount of settings I can change.

I don't want to fry my anemone.

20211230_171501.jpg

20211230_171724.jpg

Nscalise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since your running the stock light what do you have your timer set to for hours. I have mine currently running 8-9 hours. Not sure if I should run it longer?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back