OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased another 5 temp sensors https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EU70ZL8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the extended cable length. The accuracy tolerance isn't as good as I was hoping. Going by the sensor I have been relying on for my heater control, 3 of the new sensors read low between 1.25-1.75 degrees, 1 reads higher by .9 degrees and 1 that wasn't recognized. The original 5 were all within .8 degrees, so have been using the 3 closest as my sensors to hook up. I may return these unless there is a way to calibrate them in the future.

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, new temp sensors ARE going back AND the reef-pi is awesome! I started getting alert emails from the system a couple hours after putting in the new sensor. Was getting temp 3 alerts every 3 minutes, temp 3 is the new sensor. I VNC'd into the pi and verified that temp 1 and 2 were good, they were, so deleted temp 3. New sensor lasted roughly 3 hours and then went off-line. HOWEVER, the reef-pi did exactly what it was programmed to do, alert me of a problem. If something had been going on, the 3 sensor redundancy would have alerted me and I could have taken appropriate actions.

For the next sixty seconds, this station will conduct a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test! :)

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding a pic of backside of my control module. Had it off the wall adding ULN2803's and pump motor control circuit. Picture shows 24vdc and 5vdc power supplies, 120vac terminal strip and power monitor hookups.

20181202_225545.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding a pic of backside of my control module. Had it off the wall adding ULN2803's and pump motor control circuit. Picture shows 24vdc and 5vdc power supplies, 120vac terminal strip and power monitor hookups.

20181202_225545.jpg

Hey - thanks for remembering to post this! Looks just as I thought it would... nice and neat!

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intentions last night did not meet reality, LOL. Was planning on wiring up everything to hook up a pair of ULN2803's to take the load off the gpio pins. I have the IC sockets but not the 2803's yet, still enroute. Was going to just plug in another socket to the soldered in one and add jumper wires as a temp solution. My desoldering did not go easily until a couple hours in, figured out that the new desoldering tool really sucks... figuratively, not literally! What a useless piece of ... Got my solder sucker from my tool bag and then started making progress. Then, the wire that I was going to use for jumpers on the board wouldn't fit into any hole that had previously had solder in it, too big. The wire worked great in a clean hole, plus, trying to form itty bitty jumpers with my fat fingers was not much fun either! Fortunately, I have extended header pins for the gpio, so about 3 am gave up and plugged in everything with jumpers so I could get the reef-pi back online.

Top solder sucker has been bouncing around in my tools bag for 18 or so years, still works great, bottom one, not so much.
20181203_121005.jpg

Next question, I now have this error message popping up every 10 seconds or so. Any ideas?
Screenshot from 2018-12-03 11-54-11.png

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering using a 5v power supply like the one that you linked. Does that have enough juice to run 16 relays and 2 pis?
Or would one like this be better?
https://www.amazon.com/PHEVOS-Unive...1&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=5v+power+supply&psc=1
That's cutting it close to run 2 Pi's and relays off 3 amps. I would probably use 2 of them for redundancy, plus they are very compact. I don't have any experience with the one you linked, but plenty of power at 12 amps.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering using a 5v power supply like the one that you linked. Does that have enough juice to run 16 relays and 2 pis?
Or would one like this be better?
https://www.amazon.com/PHEVOS-Unive...1&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=5v+power+supply&psc=1

Hey, not to be a pain, but couldn't you simply add up the the amps used under load for the relays and pis and get your answer? This way, should everything be pulling at the same time (which I'm 99% confident in saying it won't) you're covered. Anyway, when in doubt, go bigger.

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, not to be a pain, but couldn't you simply add up the the amps used under load for the relays and pis and get your answer? This way, should everything be pulling at the same time (which I'm 99% confident in saying it won't) you're covered. Anyway, when in doubt, go bigger.
I agree with you! Bigger isn't bad if you have the room in the enclosure.

Last edited:

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cutting it close to run 2 Pi's and relays off 3 amps. I would probably use 2 of them for redundancy, plus they are very compact. I don't have any experience with the one you linked, but plenty of power at 12 amps.

Thanks. I will probably give the 12 amp one a shot. It should be more than enough for everything.

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macros came out in the 2.0 revision, here are mine...

Feeding time. Added lots of "waits" to allow adding more commands later on. You build the macro from the beginning to the end and can't insert anything.
macro1.png
macro2.png
macro3.png

All pumps off. Added a 30 second delay before turning off the main pump. Enough time to allow me to use the pump return to start a siphon for a water change.
macro4.png

Pumps back on.
macro5.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing to think that was build in the 18th century!
Actually there were quite a few of similar machines that was made during that time. Most of them would do some pre-calculated things (analogous to macros). Comput history museum in Mountain View, CA has a replica of Babbage engine, which is the very first prototype with modern day computer (except logic is executed by mechanical gears, instead of solid state semiconductors). That thing has like 32K gears in in... very very inspiring

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished designing and printing a new power relay module. Waiting on a 4 channel solid state relay board and then can assemble it. I posted it on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3370573 my first contribution there.
20190120_213740.jpg

20190120_213848.jpg

pictures are behaving strangely tonight.

20190120_213848.jpg

20190120_213848.jpg

Back