ScottBrew's reef-pi

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished designing and printing a new power relay module. Waiting on a 4 channel solid state relay board and then can assemble it. I posted it on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3370573 my first contribution there.
20190120_213740.jpg

20190120_213848.jpg

pictures are behaving strangely tonight.

20190120_213848.jpg

20190120_213848.jpg
Wow

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new power module was prompted by wanting to use 4 mechanical relays and 4 solid state relays. This allows the lower current draw power heads to stay on quiet solid state relays while the main pumps and heater go onto mechanical. The heater took out a relay last week even though was only at 83% rating, 200 watt heater on a 2 amp relay. Moved the heater to another relay and reallocated the device on reef-pi. Speaking of, reef-pi again worked perfectly and I started getting multiple emails as soon as the temp dropped below the lower alert limit!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new power module was prompted by wanting to use 4 mechanical relays and 4 solid state relays. This allows the lower current draw power heads to stay on quiet solid state relays while the main pumps and heater go onto mechanical. The heater took out a relay last week even though was only at 83% rating, 200 watt heater on a 2 amp relay. Moved the heater to another relay and reallocated the device on reef-pi. Speaking of, reef-pi again worked perfectly and I started getting multiple emails as soon as the temp dropped below the lower alert limit!
That’s a relief . There’s a bug in the ato alerting code, that I have fixed and will be released in 2.2 soon, just an fyi. Reef-pi will also allow disabling ato when the threshold is breached

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a relief . There’s a bug in the ato alerting code, that I have fixed and will be released in 2.2 soon, just an fyi. Reef-pi will also allow disabling ato when the threshold is breached
I never got as far as an automatic ATO, mine is all manual. I have a float valve and a on/off valve. I flip the on/off valve open every morning and have Alexa remind me to turn it back off in 10 minutes. Have to run it only when intermittent cycling secondary pump is off (runs :02-:12 every hour) so water level is correct. My ATO container is on a shelf above the tank so no ATO pump.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished designing and printing a new power relay module. Waiting on a 4 channel solid state relay board and then can assemble it. I posted it on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3370573 my first contribution there.
20190120_213740.jpg

20190120_213848.jpg

pictures are behaving strangely tonight.

20190120_213848.jpg

20190120_213848.jpg
Looks really good.
Nice to see you got your 3d printer producing some cool stuff.
How long was the print time on something like that?

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good.
Nice to see you got your 3d printer producing some cool stuff.
How long was the print time on something like that?
Takes awhile to get the hang of it but starting to design and make stuff. Took about 8 hours each half. Not fast but I think I had more time in designing it in CAD.

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a monoprice select . Love these enclosures

I don't have any experience with that particular printer but the build size is reasonable although I already want a bigger printer... LOL. Do some research into what devices works with a program called octo-print, another raspberry pi program. I've been running it since I set up the printer, so much easier than transferring a micro SD back and forth.

lotus02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice build
but have to say if that is that a live 110 ac plug if cover it with a box for your safety.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottBrew this is still operational ? We have seen a case where pi was hung up and caused significant pain (temperature dropped to 68) in another build. If you get time, do setup a watchdog
https://www.switchdoc.com/2014/11/reliable-projects-using-internal-watchdog-timer-raspberry-pi/
I attempted this but get an error.
"Module bcm2708_wdog not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.79-v7+"
Any suggestions?

Fortunately, I am beyond heater season, house is at 75* with AC back on and running, so nothing critical. Run a feed time macro twice a day, so would figure out an issue quickly.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attempted this but get an error.
"Module bcm2708_wdog not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.79-v7+"
Any suggestions?

Fortunately, I am beyond heater season, house is at 75* with AC back on and running, so nothing critical. Run a feed time macro twice a day, so would figure out an issue quickly.
which version of raspberry pi and raspbian you are running. Can you share the output of this two commands:'
Code:
lsb_release -a
uname -a

OP
OP
ScottBrew

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which version of raspberry pi and raspbian you are running. Can you share the output of this two commands:'
Code:
lsb_release -a
uname -a
pi@reef-pi90:/lib/modules/4.14.79-v7+ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.6 (stretch)
Release: 9.6
Codename: stretch
pi@reef-pi90:/lib/modules/4.14.79-v7+ $ uname -a
Linux reef-pi90 4.14.79-v7+ #1159 SMP Sun Nov 4 17:50:20 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice to be able to see how much or how little power each device is using and as reef-pi matures, hopefully can incorporate power monitoring into the software. My wish is that if it senses a power outage but have a UPS to turn off everything but the essentials (main pump or a power head) to give the longest available life from the battery.

Hi there

Jumping on this thread a little late but currently in the middle of my own build. (Thread to be setup shortly).

2 questions for you
1. Love your power usage monitor and like you would eventually like to integrate to software. But I don’t understand how you are using to monitor each individual device. I get it will monitor overall power consumption but how have you setup individual devices?

2. Nice idea re: cat5 cable and I’ve got loads of it. How to I turn this into an actual jumper I.e male or female pin ending (apologies of that is a silly q total newbie to raspberry pi)

Thanks

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Jumping on this thread a little late but currently in the middle of my own build. (Thread to be setup shortly).

2 questions for you
1. Love your power usage monitor and like you would eventually like to integrate to software. But I don’t understand how you are using to monitor each individual device. I get it will monitor overall power consumption but how have you setup individual devices?

2. Nice idea re: cat5 cable and I’ve got loads of it. How to I turn this into an actual jumper I.e male or female pin ending (apologies of that is a silly q total newbie to raspberry pi)

Thanks

Hey @MikeSpike - just in case Scott doesn't reply to you in a timeframe that suits your timeline for your reef-pi build, it's always a good idea to start your own build thread. Another option would be to post your questions in the main reef-pi thread for @Ranjib and others to answer. Simply trying to help you out. Good luck!

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @MikeSpike - just in case Scott doesn't reply to you in a timeframe that suits your timeline for your reef-pi build, it's always a good idea to start your own build thread. Another option would be to post your questions in the main reef-pi thread for @Ranjib and others to answer. Simply trying to help you out. Good luck!
Thanks. Appreciate the guidance and gonna get started on a thread now!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back