Screen mesh questions

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What du mean by kits? Why not go with just the mesh and then purchase the trim from hardware stores. Look into it
BRS Sells the kits to make them. Comes with everything you need. I have done this in the past as well. Good way to support BRS. But, if you have the material already from around the house its probably cheaper to go hardware store route.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Just cut whatever length you need. I used to cut mine on a chop saw but it always damaged the aluminum. A hack saw works best

What du mean by kits? Why not go with just the mesh and then purchase the trim from hardware stores. Look into it

I'm not the handiest when it comes to things like this so I was hoping to find a kit that would work lol. Or even better someone selling one already made for a 75 with a HOB filter and skimmer haha.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Sells the kits to make them. Comes with everything you need. I have done this in the past as well. Good way to support BRS. But, if you have the material already from around the house its probably cheaper to go hardware store route.
Understood with reference to kits. I just got the mesh from them and I had the spline and tool with me already. So agree if you have stuff laying around if not then thats that way to go.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to flip my corner pieces upside down. it doesn't work great and i don't recommend it. The whole thing ended up really flimsy. I ended up just skipping the back portion of my aquarium and doing a plain rectangle and filling in the holes with eggcrate. I am much happier since I did that.
That's what I did too. I used egg crate at first to fill in the back part but I didn't secure them and came home one day to find my Red Margin Wrasse had jumped and knocked one of them off and was dried up on the floor. I scrapped the egg crate bought some clear acrylic and cut it to size to cover the gaps and secured it with nylon nuts and bolts to the mesh frame. I like the RedSea frame kit and might look into getting that.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the eggcrate crowd. My old cube:

top_light.jpg

And a pic of the clamps I had 3D printed to hold the eggcrate in place:
Clamp.jpg

My current tank is open top, but when I had a screen top, this worked well for me.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the eggcrate crowd. My old cube:

top_light.jpg

And a pic of the clamps I had 3D printed to hold the eggcrate in place:
Clamp.jpg

My current tank is open top, but when I had a screen top, this worked well for me.

That’s so cool @Greybeard.... I like the clamping thought. I’m still to work on this. I made the egg crate work for now. But I need to Finish it like a combo. Material is sitting. Need to get it to.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so cool @Greybeard.... I like the clamping thought. I’m still to work on this. I made the egg crate work for now. But I need to Finish it like a combo. Material is sitting. Need to get it to.

Clamps were made for me by a guy in St. Louis, https://printedreefingsolutions.com/

Good guy, willing to do stuff not in his usual catalog, prices are reasonable. I've got a bunch of dosing tube holders, probe holders, etc. that he's made for me, as well. All excellent quality, work great, keep things neat and secure.

OP
OP
mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clamps were made for me by a guy in St. Louis, https://printedreefingsolutions.com/

Good guy, willing to do stuff not in his usual catalog, prices are reasonable. I've got a bunch of dosing tube holders, probe holders, etc. that he's made for me, as well. All excellent quality, work great, keep things neat and secure.

Amazing. THANK YOU for the link. I’m not thinking why not get the corner for the window screen 3D printed. I’ll contact them. THANK YOU again!!!

schlitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about going this route. I want an eel and I need a different option than I have. However, my issues are that I want a cover that works with my lighting that a few inches above the cover. Where are areas for feeding? Do you make trap doors? What about for cleaning? Do you have to completely remove the screen everytime you clean?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hack saw and a miter box. Cutoff wheel works pretty good, too.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several brilliant designs including yours OP! Might be just a shade of opening between screen and egg crate in case someone jumps. Very good though. I like it.

I do screens on all of my tanks because of my preference for an open top.

34600329_10215941105983303_266012222566694912_n.jpg

34774704_10215941105943302_6424155053333938176_n.jpg

34794255_10215941105023279_743290158392016896_n.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back