screen top required for Leopard Wrasse?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
anyone have leopard wrasses in aquarium that doesn’t have screen top or lid?

I hate to make a lid for these two new Leopard Wrasse I will be adding and wanted to get others opinions.

thank you

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had harem of Leopard for years without top screen and they were fine. Did not loose any of them to jumping out. That was when I did not have any other wrasse. They were peaceful and not bother each other or bother by any other fish. I should said a group of them rather than a Harem becasue for 3 years, none of the three females change sex. It is possible that when one of them change sex there can be hanky-panky going on that cause them to jump out.
Leopard2016090501.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards aren’t the most motivated of jumpers, but you do run some risk. I would not personally keep any valuable fish without a screen top.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had harem of Leopard for years without top screen and they were fine. Did not loose any of them to jumping out. That was when I did not have any other wrasse. They were peaceful and not bother each other or bother by any other fish. I should said a group of them rather than a Harem becasue for 3 years, none of the three females change sex. It is possible that when one of them change sex there can be hanky-panky going on that cause them to jump out.
Leopard2016090501.jpg

Leopards aren’t the most motivated of jumpers, but you do run some risk. I would not personally keep any valuable fish without a screen top.

Yall both always have great advice but my experience has not been consistent with this. I watched mine hit the top a few times.

Also OrionN, my Meleagris never turned male either. Had her almost 10 years, favorite fish by far.

Last edited:

Torres reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I kept a Meleagris for almost 10 years. I saw her hit the screen top a few times. They are a tough fish to keep, it would be a shame to lose it from something so preventable.

You can get a recessed lid. Mine still looks pretty rimless.

20210504_202927.jpg
20210504_202935.jpg
20210504_202937.jpg
What kind of kid is that?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have leopard wrasses in aquarium that doesn’t have screen top or lid?

I hate to make a lid for these two new Leopard Wrasse I will be adding and wanted to get others opinions.

thank you
I also have had a leopard wrasse for 3 years now with no lid, mine does go into and out of the overflow box whenever it wants, weird, probably a bunch of pods back there or something

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit i have zero experience with that specific wrasse, but almost any fish has the potential to jump out of the tank. Even those not known for jumping can be startled and end up as an expensive treat for the cat. I would always consider it a risk other than with a very few fish(ie 100% bottom dwellers). Even then it can be a small risk...i had a yellow watchmen goby end up on the floor once(he was first fish i added and no screen yet because a yellow watchmen would never jump out I foolishly thought)

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have them (14 wrasses total), as well as no lid.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I also have them (14 wrasses total), as well as no lid.
So i was sitting back on my couch watching all my fish... And it dawned on me.. where's my other leopard?

I grabbed the flash light and looked behind the reefer. There she was! Hard as a rock on the floor. The blue star is swimming around happily. I don't know what happened, when it happened. But i believe if there was a Lid it would have been prevented.

I have the net in the garage and never got around to it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back