Screened lids or open top

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only tanks I've ever owned are the basic marineland type of tank. For me it may be a grass is greener on the other side kind of thing. If I ever had a rimless tank it would maybe change my opinion of them.
Both of mine are Elite tanks. They seem to be put together nicer than a standard and are a little more in price.
I could do a rimless euro braced tank as they look and function similar to a braced tank.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mine are Elite tanks. They seem to be put together nicer than a standard and are a little more in price.
I could do a rimless euro braced tank as they look and function similar to a braced tank.
I honestly would've probably gone with a euro braced tank. I like the extra support it adds, but from the front it still has that rimless look. It seems to be a perfect compromise IMO.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case my tank actually was cheap. It's everything else that has gone in and around it that has cost a lot. I honestly regret not getting a custom built tank in the 300g range.

For my tank those lids are overkill, I would look into them if I had a high end rimless tank.
Yep, wish I would have went 300ish from the start.
My only regret on my 120 is I should have turned it peninsula style. I could have added another 20+ corals, lol.
84x36x22 peninsula with euro bracing is what I envision my upgrade to be.
Those tops are nice but I prefer the open top look.
I have only had 1 jumper in 28 months and that fish found the feed hole when I was running an egg crate top. 15 is my current 120 fish load.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, wish I would have went 300ish from the start.
My only regret on my 120 is I should have turned it peninsula style. I could have added another 20+ corals, lol.
84x36x22 peninsula with euro bracing is what I envision my upgrade to be.
Those tops are nice but I prefer the open top look.
I have only had 1 jumper in 28 months and that fish found the feed hole when I was running an egg crate top. 15 is my current 120 fish load.
I've looked into upgrading to a larger, nicer tank, but the only reasonable place I have for it in my house is where my current tank is. I'd prefer to setup the new tank and let it run for a year or so before swapping livestock over but that isn't an option. Doing a tank swap worries me, so for now I'll probably just have to be content with my 125.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked into upgrading to a larger, nicer tank, but the only reasonable place I have for it in my house is where my current tank is. I'd prefer to setup the new tank and let it run for a year or so before swapping livestock over but that isn't an option. Doing a tank swap worries me, so for now I'll probably just have to be content with my 125.
Yea I get it. I will take frags from the ones I want and keep them in my frag system.
Whats left will be sold and I will start over. I will be keeping lights, carx, skimmer, and media reactor.
I also have to pull up the carpet and do something else with the floor.
I fortunatly have a decent size room for my frag tank and snakes.
May have to setup one more tank as its going to be a project.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I get it. I will take frags from the ones I want and keep them in my frag system.
Whats left will be sold and I will start over. I will be keeping lights, carx, skimmer, and media reactor.
I also have to pull up the carpet and do something else with the floor.
I fortunatly have a decent size room for my frag tank and snakes.
May have to setup one more tank as its going to be a project.
There are also a lot of growing pains with a new tank that I don't want to go through again. Although my knowledge on what to do with a tank is much, much better than it used to be thanks for me spending way too much time on this forum.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 28g, but I’m using a glass lid. The back of my tank is open, so I’m not worried about gas exchange, and the reduction in PAR is maybe a couple percent. The reason I went with glass over a mesh lid (I have a wrasse, a Tailspot blennie, and pink bar goby, so a lid is mandatory), is that I wanted to limit evaporation and keep my cat and her hair out of the tank (she will sit and watch the tank and bat at the glass for hours). So far, it’s worked out great, I only have to top-off once or twice a week, and only a 1/4 gallon at the most.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a glass lid on one of my tanks. I thought par would suffer, but I was pleasantly surprised with my measurements. Almost no loss.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 28g, but I’m using a glass lid. The back of my tank is open, so I’m not worried about gas exchange, and the reduction in PAR is maybe a couple percent. The reason I went with glass over a mesh lid (I have a wrasse, a Tailspot blennie, and pink bar goby, so a lid is mandatory), is that I wanted to limit evaporation and keep my cat and her hair out of the tank (she will sit and watch the tank and bat at the glass for hours). So far, it’s worked out great, I only have to top-off once or twice a week, and only a 1/4 gallon at the most.
I've actually used glass in the past and I don't keep them clean enough. I'm bad about neglecting any routine cleaning.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is you glass a solid sheet? Mine is solid with one 3/4 inch hole in the middle and about 1/8 inch gap all around the edges...held onto a rimless tank with clips.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is you glass a solid sheet? Mine is solid with one 3/4 inch hole in the middle and about 1/8 inch gap all around the edges...held onto a rimless tank with clips.
Yes, though there’s a half inch gap on the right side of the tank, I have my light mounted on the right side of my tank since the back middle chamber has my protein skimmer in it. It works out pretty great though, as I can feed the fish and dose stuff through the gap. It’s just a piece of glass that I cut (it fits the tank pretty perfectly, I just could cut out a notch for the mounting arm of the light), but I’m in the process of getting a more nicely cut one made at a glass shop. Where did you get your lid (or did you make it)?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, though there’s a half inch gap on the right side of the tank, I have my light mounted on the right side of my tank since the back middle chamber has my protein skimmer in it. It works out pretty great though, as I can feed the fish and dose stuff through the gap. It’s just a piece of glass that I cut (it fits the tank pretty perfectly, I just could cut out a notch for the mounting arm of the light), but I’m in the process of getting a more nicely cut one made at a glass shop. Where did you get your lid (or did you make it)?
Mine came with the tank. It's a first generation IM nuvo 8. I'm upgrading to a WB 15 peninsula and I'm looking at lid options. Thinking I'd like to go glass again tbh. I love how well it controls evaporation.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back