Screwed up killed my frogspawn ....

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out salt went out got red sea coral pro sea salt did a small water change went to work came home to the smell of low tide !! Tank all cloudy ! Well I've been keeping my alk at 9 for ever now I did not realize well never gave it a thought that the coral pro is a 12 alk when I did the changed the frogspawn must have taken a direct hit and well you get the rest had 4 mushrooms melt too I hate it when you work so hard on something and do something so stupid and mess it up !!

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. It seems like it's the little things in this hobby that cause the most pain. There is a big learning curve even with resources such as Reef2Reef.

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make things worse it was my first coral for this tank ! And I feel bad stupid move I know better.Grrr

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to venture to guess that a "small" water change with water only 3 kh higher could not have wiped out your corals. Countless people don't even drip acclimate and simply place them immediately in the new tank.

Something doesn't add up here. You're sure everything else was fine? Temp, salinity, flow, etc.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to venture to guess that a "small" water change with water only 3 kh higher could not have wiped out your corals. Countless people don't even drip acclimate and simply place them immediately in the new tank.

Something doesn't add up here. You're sure everything else was fine? Temp, salinity, flow, etc.

Agree.

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all I did that day was a water change all my water test are in the normal range except Alk. Went up and both were fine before that the mushroom just split over this week if not the water change Im at loss

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 34 gal red sea c130 I did a 5 gallon change

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After it happened I did a water test on everything my apex trend shown no more than a 1/2 deg swing in temp 78.5 79 when tested Alk was 10.2 ca430 mg 1350 po3 .75 .

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 coming in April 7th looking forward to a real sump

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how big was the water change?

The tank is a 34 gal red sea c130 I did a 5 gallon change

Assuming about thirty gallons of actual water volume, that would only raise your levels to 9.5. Inconsequential...

Totally random, but could you have lost power? Was it untreated tap? I'm not sure what else it could be, but the kh level should not be a concern.

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny I have a duncan about the same spot in the tank unfazed my zoas barley opened today and I have 2 goniopora didn't even care I have 3 peppermint shrimp in the tank still doing well ???

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi water used since day 1 my apex does not show an outage

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing within a deg heated in my cellar checked with a digital thermometer then brought up it may have lost a deg in transit

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I noticed is my lights seemed brighter but my typhoon controller is set as the same for at least a month

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running poly media should have changed color did not so I don't think copper I have well water so I don't see chlorine I'm at a loss

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast did the water change take place? Was it super quick, just dumped in water or trickled in?
Just wondering.

Back