Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm running carbon to help with the frogs pawn clouding the water

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible that your water had a large difference from the redsea water and shocked the tank.
I don't really know.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out salt went out got red sea coral pro sea salt did a small water change went to work came home to the smell of low tide !! Tank all cloudy ! Well I've been keeping my alk at 9 for ever now I did not realize well never gave it a thought that the coral pro is a 12 alk when I did the changed the frogspawn must have taken a direct hit and well you get the rest had 4 mushrooms melt too I hate it when you work so hard on something and do something so stupid and mess it up !!
We all feel your pain. :(

If your got that smell and cloudiness it may be a good idea to check your ammonia to see if your reef is going to re-cycle.

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking I should mix a small batch and test the new salt

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably not going to like this but... you will probably loose more over the coming weeks. I lost almost all my SPS, one torch from using nyos reef cement in my 20 gal, it spiked my ph 7.8 to 8.45 which is directly related to ALK. I did an instant 50% water change as soon as my apex alarmed 8.4. I'm still loosing some of my sps to STN.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running poly media should have changed color did not so I don't think copper I have well water so I don't see chlorine I'm at a loss

Which exact brand of media?

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. My KH goes from 10-12 pretty regularly based on usage and water changes and I have an all LPS plus one SPS tank with no issues.
50ec7b922173af041db8851d383a5112.png

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about I feed my corals with a turkey baster type think from kent marine and it was not smelling to good so I cleaned it with vinegar and water I thought I rinsed it real good but could a minor amount of vinegar do that .

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about I feed my corals with a turkey baster type think from kent marine and it was not smelling to good so I cleaned it with vinegar and water I thought I rinsed it real good but could a minor amount of vinegar do that .

Possibly. I defer to Randy when it comes to tank chemistry 90% of my knowledge is from personal experience and correlation (the other 10% is from what I learn from Randy and other tank Gurus). My personal experience has been that for LPS they are more forgiving for KH vs things like PH, Salinity and Ammonia. Are you relying on the media to ensure you didn't have an Ammonia spike? Based on how quickly the tank declined I would suspect bad salt mix (or something happened to get into the water with the change), possible contamination from the vinegar, and maybe during the WC you stirred the sand bed and released a bunch of stuff (that actually happened at the main display tank of the LFS I normally go to- an associate disturbed the DSB during a cleaning and killed most of the LPS rapidly).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schwabie33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible there was some kind of contaminant in the bucket? This seems very out of place, how long has the water been cloudy?

OP
OP
Wingizzmo

Wingizzmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible there was some kind of contaminant in the bucket? This seems very out of place, how long has the water been cloudy?
It was fine when I left for work came home tank cloudy and it was the frogspawn dead doing the clouding .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back