Scribbled Rabbitfish eating Slowly Down

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 3 year old Scribbled Rabbitfish that recently stopped eating Nori. It was never a crazy nori eater but now it is showing no interest. It's still eating other food but not with anywhere near the same gusto that it was before. I haven't added anything that can bring disease into the tank and all the other fish seem fine. Is it common for them to go on a hunger strike?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you change type of nori?
Try basting it with garlic extract and see if it changes the issue

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, no luck. The fish only ate the ocean nutrition green nori. Never messed with anything else.
That’s the only kind mine will eat too, Mine will completely ignore a sheet on a clip so I have to cut it up into 1/4”-1/2” squares and add it to the food I feed, and he can’t get enough of it. Maybe change the presentation and see if it piques it’s interest.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the only kind mine will eat too, Mine will completely ignore a sheet on a clip so I have to cut it up into 1/4”-1/2” squares and add it to the food I feed, and he can’t get enough of it. Maybe change the presentation and see if it piques it’s interest.

Still no luck. Right now it's eating a small amount of grape calupera in the AM with some Hikari herbivore pellets. When I feed the rest of the fish it's eating spirulina brine and lrs. @Jay Hemdal any thoughts here. Ever see a fish randomly get sick of nori after eating it for a few years daily?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no luck. Right now it's eating a small amount of grape calupera in the AM with some Hikari herbivore pellets. When I feed the rest of the fish it's eating spirulina brine and lrs. @Jay Hemdal any thoughts here. Ever see a fish randomly get sick of nori after eating it for a few years daily?

I'm not sure what could put a fish off of nori. Is it still maintaining weight/body mass? As long as its caloric intake is good, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a group of spotted rabbitfish in our big reef exhibit that haven't been given nori for 4+ years and they are fine.

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what could put a fish off of nori. Is it still maintaining weight/body mass? As long as its caloric intake is good, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a group of spotted rabbitfish in our big reef exhibit that haven't been given nori for 4+ years and they are fine.

Jay

So far yes. I basically started feeding seaweed extreme pellets and grape calupera instead of the nori.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal the fish basically stopped eating everything at this point. Overall seems okay. Breathing normal and coloration is good. At a complete loss at this point

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal the fish basically stopped eating everything at this point. Overall seems okay. Breathing normal and coloration is good. At a complete loss at this point

Ugh - that isn't good. Did it just slowly stop feeding on other foods, or did it quit suddenly?

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh - that isn't good. Did it just slowly stop feeding on other foods, or did it quit suddenly?

Jay
It just gradually stopped. Then I would try something new. Would eat for a few days and then stop. Now it's not eating anything atleast while I am feeding the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn - I've got nothing to offer you in terms of a cure or resolution. Here is an article I wrote on chronic anorexia, but at this point, I don't think it will help, other than to help explain the issue:

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn - I've got nothing to offer you in terms of a cure or resolution. Here is an article I wrote on chronic anorexia, but at this point, I don't think it will help, other than to help explain the issue:

Jay

Do you think dosing the tank with prazi is worth a try? Maybe some internal worms or something?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think dosing the tank with prazi is worth a try? Maybe some internal worms or something?
Prazi is mostly safe for a DT. General Cure is better as it is prazi and metro, but it isn’t safe for inverts.
Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is mostly safe for a DT. General Cure is better as it is prazi and metro, but it isn’t safe for inverts.
Jay

Do you think trying a round of prazi is worth a try? Guess really nothing to lose at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think trying a round of prazi is worth a try? Guess really nothing to lose at this point.
Well, as they say, it can’t hurt. I just do see a strong indication that it will help, but maybe? I certainly don’t have any other suggestions
Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as they say, it can’t hurt. I just do see a strong indication that it will help, but maybe? I certainly don’t have any other suggestions
Jay

@Jay Hemdal so the fish is eating some pe mysis after the prazi. Maybe it's a coincidence/maybe not. Is a 2nd treatment needed for internal worms?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal so the fish is eating some pe mysis after the prazi. Maybe it's a coincidence/maybe not. Is a 2nd treatment needed for internal worms?
Good question - I don't know for internal parasites. I always dose prazi twice for external flukes though, since all this drug does is make the adult flukes loosen their grip, it doesn't kill eggs. You need to let the eggs hatch out then hit the juveniles before they have time to lay their own eggs.

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question - I don't know for internal parasites. I always dose prazi twice for external flukes though, since all this drug does is make the adult flukes loosen their grip, it doesn't kill eggs. You need to let the eggs hatch out then hit the juveniles before they have time to lay their own eggs.

Jay

@Jay Hemdal So this is odd. I now have a second scribbled rabbit in a totally different tank with no possible means of cross contamination exhibiting the same issue. Stopped eating nori and not eating anywhere near what it was before. I know this seams odd but is it possible the LRS I was feeding has.some poison/chemical in it? I also have a 3rd tank my breeding pair of skunk clowns and they recently stopped egg leg laying.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back