Scuba

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Messages
7,424
Reaction score
32,564
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

unsurprisingly, to some extent, I’m a passionate reef aquarist who has decided I want to learn to scuba. So..I’ve decided to get certified in the next year or two when things are less tight.

ironically my new uncle (aunt finally got married) has something like 1000 dives under his belt, and he said he’ll take me to some good spots. Additionally he said he’ll send me his gear for my certification. Which is awesome.

so, to you scuba reefers, what tips do you have for someone just getting in to diving. I can swim well. But that’s not what I mean. Are there things I should look for when picking out a place to get my certification? Any good tips for scuba overall? (Gear tips, technique, etc?)

thanks in advance for any and all responses!
 
Hey all

unsurprisingly, to some extent, I’m a passionate reef aquarist who has decided I want to learn to scuba. So..I’ve decided to get certified in the next year or two when things are less tight.

ironically my new uncle (aunt finally got married) has something like 1000 dives under his belt, and he said he’ll take me to some good spots. Additionally he said he’ll send me his gear for my certification. Which is awesome.

so, to you scuba reefers, what tips do you have for someone just getting in to diving. I can swim well. But that’s not what I mean. Are there things I should look for when picking out a place to get my certification? Any good tips for scuba overall? (Gear tips, technique, etc?)

thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Hate I missed this. I got certified about 8 years ago and I love it! I would say your uncle would be a good one to guide you with that much experience.

You definitely want your own equipment (mask, fins, BC, regulator). I wouldn't buy gear immediately. Once you have been diving a while you'll have a better idea of what you like and want. If you buy gear you don't like you'll take a hit if you try to sell it.

I would strongly recommend trying a back inflate BC. I'm diving a back inflate BC right now but seriously considering switching to a back plate and wing. Back inflate makes proper trim much easier and more "natural" to attain. It's not quite as "comfortable" on the surface but that's of no concern to me.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new