Scuba

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

unsurprisingly, to some extent, I’m a passionate reef aquarist who has decided I want to learn to scuba. So..I’ve decided to get certified in the next year or two when things are less tight.

ironically my new uncle (aunt finally got married) has something like 1000 dives under his belt, and he said he’ll take me to some good spots. Additionally he said he’ll send me his gear for my certification. Which is awesome.

so, to you scuba reefers, what tips do you have for someone just getting in to diving. I can swim well. But that’s not what I mean. Are there things I should look for when picking out a place to get my certification? Any good tips for scuba overall? (Gear tips, technique, etc?)

thanks in advance for any and all responses!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

unsurprisingly, to some extent, I’m a passionate reef aquarist who has decided I want to learn to scuba. So..I’ve decided to get certified in the next year or two when things are less tight.

ironically my new uncle (aunt finally got married) has something like 1000 dives under his belt, and he said he’ll take me to some good spots. Additionally he said he’ll send me his gear for my certification. Which is awesome.

so, to you scuba reefers, what tips do you have for someone just getting in to diving. I can swim well. But that’s not what I mean. Are there things I should look for when picking out a place to get my certification? Any good tips for scuba overall? (Gear tips, technique, etc?)

thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Hate I missed this. I got certified about 8 years ago and I love it! I would say your uncle would be a good one to guide you with that much experience.

You definitely want your own equipment (mask, fins, BC, regulator). I wouldn't buy gear immediately. Once you have been diving a while you'll have a better idea of what you like and want. If you buy gear you don't like you'll take a hit if you try to sell it.

I would strongly recommend trying a back inflate BC. I'm diving a back inflate BC right now but seriously considering switching to a back plate and wing. Back inflate makes proper trim much easier and more "natural" to attain. It's not quite as "comfortable" on the surface but that's of no concern to me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back