Scutus snail / Elephant slug. Keep or Remove?

Leo.LA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have Fluval evo 13.5g for almost a month now. I kind insta cycle it with live rock and bio-spira. Parameters are good and I am keeping up with the maintenance. I already added livestock. I have a mix reef but mostly frags

1 hammer coral (colony)
1 torch (colony)
1 montipora (medium)
1 red scoly
1 toadstool (small)
1 zoa red (frag)
1 zoa green (frag)
1 zoa yellow (frag)
1 ricordea mushroom (frag)
1 gsp (frag)
1 blasto (frag)
1 candy cane green (frag)
1 kenya tree (frag)
1 red war (frag)
1 duncan (frag)
1 mushroom (frag)

Just saw a hitch hiker in my tank. I think it's a scutus snail / elephant slug. I read they just eat algae but also they can eat Zoas / SPS.
IMG_20200222_193206_MP.jpg

I think algae is growing so maybe it will not starve but it might compete with my other CUC. I currently have

1 margarita snail (large)
3 nassarius snail (small)
2 hermit crab (small)

Should I remove this snail?

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m a big fan of the biodiversity in our tanks; i would definitely keep it. i respectfully admit that i’ve never even heard of an elephant slug (Scutus sp.) until now, and i’m thrilled to ‘discover’ yet another potentially beneficial hitchhiker.

i came across this site: https://critterguide.ca/elephant-slug/

i do have a number of ornamental sponges in my tank and this site at least states they may also feed on sponges.

if i were in yr situation, i’d keep it but monitor the montipora & zoas closely, and be preparing to house the little guy in his own specimen tank if ultimately necessary. (if you opt not to keep him and you happen to be in the los angeles area ... hehe) ;)

and welcome to the forum! :D

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself id sump him but if you keep him in the tank keep your eye on him....

nightowl3090

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my tank that was a hitchhiker. Unfortunately he died recently after about a year. He became quite the character and was beloved by my girlfriend. I've been wanting to find a replacement, but they're impossible to find to purchase!

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Scutus snail! They're my son's favorite. They've grown to about 3 inches now. I'm getting worried that the back glass in in the 10 gallon may run out of algae for them. They're almost always on the glass, but also spends a little time on (mostly under) the rock. Doesn't touch my yellow ball sponge. (Would I notice anyway?) As for sps, Stylophora and Pachyseris, the only sps in he tank, are not on the menu. Doesn't eat LPS, mushrooms, or aptasia either We're always excited to see them out and about here.

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only seen mine crawling over my zoas, but it hasn’t done any damage to them that I can notice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back