Sea grass

grzy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add some sea grass to my macro algae tank. Does anyone have or know someone that might be willing to sell some of it?

thanks

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add some sea grass to my macro algae tank. Does anyone have or know someone that might be willing to sell some of it?

thanks

Welcome to the addiction, I mean the hobby forum. I tried sea grasses many years ago. Their requirement for deep >6” mature sand beds made me realize they required more attention than I was willing to give them. Can you take a picture of your present macro tank.

I started a 30G ornamental seaweed tank one year ago.

image.jpg

OP
OP
grzy123

grzy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropical Fish Plus has Manatee Grass, that's where I got mine recently. Just make sure you inspect it because the three macros I ordered all had one or two hitchhikers. The manatee grass had a mussel which was pretty cool though!

Thanks I don’t know why I was t able to find this when I was looking on google thanks for the link I’m going to check out shipping prices
Welcome to the addiction, I mean the hobby forum. I tried sea grasses many years ago. Their requirement for deep >6” mature sand beds made me realize they required more attention than I was willing to give them. Can you take a picture of your present macro tank.

image.jpg
Interesting about the six inch sand bed, I was pretty sure this plant shot runners i could be wrong. My tank is small which with tall blades of grass in the back would be a nice effect, but my sand beds not six inches. Either way it’s not a hundred percent I will pull the trigger on these. There is other macros I want just hard to find them, thanks.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I don’t know why I was t able to find this when I was looking on google thanks for the link I’m going to check out shipping prices

Interesting about the six inch sand bed, I was pretty sure this plant shot runners i could be wrong. My tank is small which with tall blades of grass in the back would be a nice effect, but my sand beds not six inches. Either way it’s not a hundred percent I will pull the trigger on these. There is other macros I want just hard to find them, thanks.

without knowing your tank inhabitants and history, I can assure you that sea grasses are much more difficult than seaweeds (macro algae). Try Caulerpa Proifera in your substrate, it resembles Oar Grass.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked Algae Barn?
I don’t think Seagrasses have popped up on their site before. I wish they did :( (though their substrate requirements would probably make it difficult to keep them pest-free).
@AlgaeBarn

Aquaticusplants.com offers Thalassia testudinum (Turtle grass), Syringodium filiforme (Manatee grass), and Halodule wrightii (Shoal grass) on their site for decent prices. They aquaculture it themselves.
Tropical Fish Plus has Manatee Grass, that's where I got mine recently. Just make sure you inspect it because the three macros I ordered all had one or two hitchhikers. The manatee grass had a mussel which was pretty cool though!

Those seem to be the main two sources of seagrass these days. I do not have experience with Aquaticus Plants (@SeaGrass Cullen), though its seems to have a good reputation, and Tropical Fish Plus (@TFP2021) offers manatee grass (Syringodium filiforme) for a great price (20+ individual plants for $8), though the macroalgae I received from them did contain hitchhikers.

Sources that currently have/recently stocked the following seagrasses (in the states):

Turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum):
- Aquaticus Plants
- FloridaPets
- Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
- Addictive Reef Keeping

- Gulf Coast Ecosystems once sold turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum)

Manatee grass (Syringodium filiforme):
- Aquaticus Plants
- Aquaculture Nursery Farms
- Addictive Reef Keeping

Shoal grass (Halodule wrightii)
- Aquaticus Plants

Eelgrass (Zostera marina) (coldwater seagrass):
- FloridaPets
- Gulf of Maine

Halophila
- Ask Aquaticus Plants for availability

Outside the U.S.:

Sickle seagrass (Thalassia hemprichii)
- Charm (occasionally)

Information:
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookseagrass.htm
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/sl/index.php

Pictures?

Last edited:

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

image.jpg
That tank needs a tang. Just sayin.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank needs a tang. Just sayin.
I have tangs in three systems with macro algae.

In my oldest tank at 25 yrs, between hippo & algae Blennie I must add macro from other tank which is prune & export. In fact, I normally export feather Caulerpa from 1 yr mature ornamental seaweed 55G tank that is skimmerless & sumpless with zero water changes. This tank also has a hippo and an algae Blennie, but macro grows faster than they can eat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
grzy123

grzy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without knowing your tank inhabitants and history, I can assure you that sea grasses are much more difficult than seaweeds (macro algae). Try Caulerpa Proifera in your substrate, it resembles Oar Grass.

Tank is small 10 gallon single clown rest is macros and a little Xenia
These are what I have currently
-Caulerpa prolifera
-tubular thicket
-jointed tuft
-codium
-Pom pom
-gracilaria
-a hitchhiker that ended up being red razor

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is small 10 gallon single clown rest is macros and a little Xenia
These are what I have currently
-Caulerpa prolifera
-tubular thicket
-jointed tuft
-codium
-Pom pom
-gracilaria
-a hitchhiker that ended up being red razor

How about a full tank shot? Given the right fertilizer & trace minerals and ample light the Gracilaria Hayi or Caulerpa Prolifera could take over the tank. I grew 55G monoculture of Gracilaria Hayi using vertical loop current to maximize production.

what are you using for nutrients and what is light intensity & spectrum?

Note the first two pictures. Both are Gracilaria Hayi.
In respect to light intensity, with many red macro, I have noted that under subdued lighting Bortacladia is a rich burgundy that turns fire engine red under moderate light, then yellow/orange under intense light all with the same light as is in #1 & #2 picture
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
grzy123

grzy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using right now 6500k on my AI Prime and dose phosphate, iron, and chaetogro.
A pic of my macro tank in the works and my freshwater cuz why not

the salt tank is kind of being reconstructed it use to have a lot of Xenia some zoas and star polys but besides the little bit of Xenia it’s going to be just macros

A7A91326-A5FF-4B7C-86F6-8AB84D19C565.jpeg 15CCEF91-C9BA-4615-A799-EA2B971DC36E.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice macro tank. You mentioned dosing phosphate, iron and chaetogrow.. why phosphate. As a generalization, your macro will consume 30 fold more nitrogen than phosphate. I dose ammonia and ChaetoGro.

OP
OP
grzy123

grzy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they definitely do consume a lot of nitrogen. I only dose a little phosphate it was very low when I tested for it. I’m going to start also dosing nitrogen I have lot of individual Fertilizer cuz of my fresh water tank. I don’t use the multi nutrients fertilizer that I have for freshwater, cuz it does have some copper in it which is actually weird cuz It can be bad for any of the fancy small freshwater shrimp. That’s why I use chaeto grow for the macro tank just to avoid the copper and might switch to to it for my freshwater and see what happens. Also not sure if it transfers to algae but I know in fresh water red colored plants use more iron and it will help increase the quality in their color.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not want to discourage you but just sharing that I found shoal seagrass difficult to keep and I have a 6" + sandbed. I never quite figured out why it would not thrive and I tried it twice.
I am now going to be content with feather caulerpa on the sandbed which can be a nice effect.

OP
OP
grzy123

grzy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I’m going to just keep the caulerpa that I got in the back and let it grow out more and look for some other interesting macros and to fill rock space

when I first saw sea grass/shoal grass it reminded me of dwarf hair grass and thought it would be pretty interesting to incorporate

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back