Sea Hare for Hair Algae: Which species do I choose?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 10g Frag Tank has been dealing with a really nasty hair algae problem now for almost 2 months and with almost 3 weeks with a Hector's goby looking like he hasn't done much to it, I'm pulling the trigger on a sea hare. As the title states, I've got 2 options and I'm not sure which to go with, can anyone vouch for either species?

-Pygmy Freckled Sea Hare (Aplysia Parvula)

-Algae Eating Sea Hare ( Dolabella auricularia)

I'm also running an AquaClear 70 on the tank, would I need to cover the intake with a sponge just in case? Thanks

WizzWolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 10g Frag Tank has been dealing with a really nasty hair algae problem now for almost 2 months and with almost 3 weeks with a Hector's goby looking like he hasn't done much to it, I'm pulling the trigger on a sea hare. As the title states, I've got 2 options and I'm not sure which to go with, can anyone vouch for either species?

-Pygmy Freckled Sea Hare (Aplysia Parvula)

-Algae Eating Sea Hare ( Dolabella auricularia)

I'm also running an AquaClear 70 on the tank, would I need to cover the intake with a sponge just in case? Thanks
I have Dolla Bella Pat, for 6 months now. He is very gentle cleaning off the frags and does a great job with the hair algae and walls. He also laid eggs 2 days ago. All I can say is it would be good to have a small separate tank on the side for when they lay their eggs. I recommend getting the Hare with eggs out immediately. Mine has twice nuked my tank. Throwing the fish away and it is a heart ache I would like to spare you from. Here she is cuddling up to her eggs so cute.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_7403481804709668083.jpg
    FB_IMG_7403481804709668083.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 48

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back