Sea horse and Garden Eel Compatible?

Would Garden Eels and Sea Horses work together?

• Yes?

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No?

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if Sea horses would work in a tank with Garden Eels? I would like to do a tank with basically just these 2 guys. Would probably need a large clean up crew since both are messy eaters. Would Snails and/or Sand Sifting Gobys work to help clean up? Has anyone tried anything like this? or Should I just dive in and test it out?

OP
OP
SilentSloth

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think turning the flow off during feeding would help? I thought the Eels would eat as long as it is above their hole.
Or do the eels need constant high flow as well?

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a bad idea at all to keep these two together, a clean up crew is very important for all the missed food, but on the flow issue for some reason so many people seem to think that strong flow is a no go for seahorses, on the contrary they love a good strong flow and will actually stay in it at times (latched), you just need to make sure there are areas (hitching posts) where they can alternate between high and low flow areas. But I would guess you would need a fairly big tank to accommodate the eels and the deep sand bed that they require, as well as high and low areas of flow, very good water quality is a must for the horses, and keeping the temp below 74 degrees.

OP
OP
SilentSloth

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! Yes a large tank is what I plan on using.
I have also found at least 3 people (with videos) who have tanks that house both Eels and Horses so I am not nearly as worried as I once was.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know if Sea horses would work in a tank with Garden Eels? I would like to do a tank with basically just these 2 guys. Would probably need a large clean up crew since both are messy eaters. Would Snails and/or Sand Sifting Gobys work to help clean up? Has anyone tried anything like this? or Should I just dive in and test it out?

I have only worked with seahorses and not garden eels so I can't address that part of the question, but you may find this thread about proper flow in a seahorse system helpful. Good luck!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I have in my 90 gallon. 6 horses 2 garden eels and a midnight angel that’s small. Bunch of inverts, coco worms they don’t bother each other and the garden eels get used to your presence. You have to feed a lot and I use a Nyos 220 skimmer on my 93 gallon tank for nutrient export

KeithsReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to post a video sometime. i have 2 garden eels with 2 decent sized lined seahorses (Tank Raised). All seem to love frozen brine shrimp and they are hardy and have been doing well for at least the 8 months i have had them in that tank. One main key thing is to make sure you have the finest sand possible with a few inches deep as they bury themselves and can damage their tails depending on the substrate and height on the sand. Also one other thing they can get out the tank easy if they are not happy and cant get into the sand. I had learned from mistakes but all tanks now have open tops and long as they are happy they wont leave their tunnel too often, especially when they have current and food blowing their way :) As for sand sifting i have a starfish and 2 spotted goby and some conch few snails ect. Works well on my 24G ..

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my dream tank as well. I've always thought about it being in a drop off. I feel like a drop off tank would make a cool place for the garden eels to hang out and be deep enough not to be disturbed by my shenanigans. I also would like the top side to be bare bottom so with lots of perches for ponies. I feel like alot of the commercially available drop off tanks are a bit small. So I'm thinking custom and that reason making it my dream tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my dream tank as well. I've always thought about it being in a drop off. I feel like a drop off tank would make a cool place for the garden eels to hang out and be deep enough not to be disturbed by my shenanigans. I also would like the top side to be bare bottom so with lots of perches for ponies. I feel like alot of the commercially available drop off tanks are a bit small. So I'm thinking custom and that reason making it my dream tank.

that is a great idea. I generally not a fan of drop off but this i think would be so cool !

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've kept garden eels in a reef set up with other fish and they've been fine. Ours were eating NLS pellets as well. You'll be fine keeping them with sea horses. Please post photos when you have your setup going!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back