Sea Urchin has a green scab-like area

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sea urchin had a small green scab-like thing on it when we purchased it in August. The area was not a problem for a long time but recently it is getting much larger and he is now losing spines around it as it enlarges. What the heck is it and more importantly, what can I do. I don't want him to die and that's what I'm afraid of. I have attached a picture of the area. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

IMG_3840.JPG

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be bald-sea urchin disease. Bacterial infection, that can possibly be contagious to other echinoids (species similar to those of urchins). Good news and bad news, good news is that they can recover but it may take several months. Bad news, a study found that death rates are high when these lesion cover a significant amount of tissue, or the infected tissue is removed. I will post the link to the research paper I found and trust. As far as treatment, I could not find anything. But maybe if you can isolate it, and focus on boosting it's immune system by target feeding it in isolation we can help this creature get back healthy. I'm going to do some more specific research on their diets and immune systems.

https://hmr.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1007/BF01989306?site=hmr.biomedcentral.com

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get him some Iodine trace element supplementation going and soak it in some dried seaweed to see if that will help. Just offer him some in small pieces first, he may be lethargic. Kind of need to hop to though, fatality is higher once infection penetrates into the deeper tissue. Let's get that immune system working!

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. He is moving around and eating very well, would I need to isolate him when he seems to be eating well in the tank. I do not have any other urchins so nothing to worry about there or is it contagious to other things than urchins? I just have a small 30 gal nano so no way to isolate him other than a breeding net box I purchased when I needed to slowly integrate a new fish. Thank you for the article I will read it. I want to help him. The last few days is when he started losing some spines - he hasn't been losing any in all the other months!

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get him some Iodine trace element supplementation going and soak it in some dried seaweed to see if that will help. Just offer him some in small pieces first, he may be lethargic. Kind of need to hop to though, fatality is higher once infection penetrates into the deeper tissue. Let's get that immune system working!
I do not know what that is... I am a novice with just a small 30 gal reef tank.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. He is moving around and eating very well, would I need to isolate him when he seems to be eating well in the tank. I do not have any other urchins so nothing to worry about there or is it contagious to other things than urchins? I just have a small 30 gal nano so no way to isolate him other than a breeding net box I purchased when I needed to slowly integrate a new fish. Thank you for the article I will read it. I want to help him. The last few days is when he started losing some spines - he hasn't been losing any in all the other months!
Good deal, and honestly I feel like time is on our side. The recent lose of spines means that the infection is just now spreading. I could not find any evidence of the disease being contagious to other species. It seems to be inter-species. Probably came via physical injury and then invasion by bacteria. I just recommend that we isolate him, that way you know he is specifically eating an amount we want to give him and that other fish/invertebrates are not stealing his food. You were sold a sick organism, and I am sure it was by accident. But no need to focus on that, we have to focus on the problem at hand.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This link should sum up what you need to know. I would use whatever brand matches your salt. Check those parameters and let's be sure that a swing did not cause stress in the urchin which in turn caused the infection to further develop. We may can just does to water column and just target feed him instead. Let's just test those macro and micro levels.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3753+3985+3988+4436&pcatid=4436

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, and honestly I feel like time is on our side. The recent lose of spines means that the infection is just now spreading. I could not find any evidence of the disease being contagious to other species. It seems to be inter-species. Probably came via physical injury and then invasion by bacteria. I just recommend that we isolate him, that way you know he is specifically eating an amount we want to give him and that other fish/invertebrates are not stealing his food. You were sold a sick organism, and I am sure it was by accident. But no need to focus on that, we have to focus on the problem at hand.
I agree he was definitely sick with this in August. So I should put him in the breeding mesh and feed him what - some Nori and what else?

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This link should sum up what you need to know. I would use whatever brand matches your salt. Check those parameters and let's be sure that a swing did not cause stress in the urchin which in turn caused the infection to further develop. We may can just does to water column and just target feed him instead. Let's just test those macro and micro levels.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3753+3985+3988+4436&pcatid=4436
I would feel better target feeding him to supplement because I don't trust he would get enough to eat from me trying to give him more. What do I target feed him? I've tried giving him pieces of sea weed and he will never eat it when offered.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree he was definitely sick with this in August. So I should put him in the breeding mesh and feed him what - some Nori and what else?
He is an omnivore, so most any seaweed, or algae, or meat based foods will work. The important thing is that we make sure those parameters are stable. Unstable parameters causes the urchins to lose spines and rapidly decline in health as well. However, you didn't mention that it was happening all over, just near the infection site. So the infection is definitely on the move. To my understanding, the infection begins at the base of these spines as well. I am unfamiliar with breeding mesh. I just think the key things as of right now are stable water parameters, supplementation of iodine, and target feeding. All three of these are targeting the immune system to promote healing. How are the algae levels in your tank?

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is an omnivore, so most any seaweed, or algae, or meat based foods will work. The important thing is that we make sure those parameters are stable. Unstable parameters causes the urchins to lose spines and rapidly decline in health as well. However, you didn't mention that it was happening all over, just near the infection site. So the infection is definitely on the move. To my understanding, the infection begins at the base of these spines as well. I am unfamiliar with breeding mesh. I just think the key things as of right now are stable water parameters, supplementation of iodine, and target feeding. All three of these are targeting the immune system to promote healing. How are the algae levels in your tank?
I will double check the parameters again now but I stay on top of that pretty well, we did recently have a low calcium level which I have corrected. I will offer him more food too, but I think he is getting has and is getting plenty if he is actually not too sick to eat. He stopped eating a few days, but in then started moving and eating all over the tank again so maybe the balancing of the calcium helped?

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not exactly familiar with what can happen with the over-dose of Iodide, which is why I recommended doing it by the instructions of the bottle. I say Iodide now, because it is the non-toxic form Iodine. Just reference that link I posted earlier, it will tell you what you need to know. What is your salt brand? Also, if you do soak by target feeding, let's go by small amounts at first. Still I recommend just going by the bottle's instructions because he will still get what he needs by the water column. I spoke a little ahead of myself earlier, I apologize. That calcium swing could have done it, we have to remember, he is ill and has been ill. Swings in parameters will affect him more so than other healthy organisms.

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are all stable!!! And we just did our weekly water change yesterday so we should be in good shape.

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not exactly familiar with what can happen with the over-dose of Iodide, which is why I recommended doing it by the instructions of the bottle. I say Iodide now, because it is the non-toxic form Iodine. Just reference that link I posted earlier, it will tell you what you need to know. What is your salt brand? Also, if you do soak by target feeding, let's go by small amounts at first. Still I recommend just going by the bottle's instructions because he will still get what he needs by the water column. I spoke a little ahead of myself earlier, I apologize. That calcium swing could have done it, we have to remember, he is ill and has been ill. Swings in parameters will affect him more so than other healthy organisms.
We use Tropic Marin that they make up at out LFS. I don't understand what the "water column" is? The timing is right for the Calcium issue.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are all stable!!!
Good deal, keep an eye on those and let's work on bulking his diet. Just remember, this is no guarantee. Do not be disappointed if it does not work out and things are possibly turn for the worst. In the wild, his fatality rate would be higher. You are learning and you are doing something about it, and that right there is what counts. Get a hold of that supplement, and find something your little guy likes eating. When we target feed, even with Iodide supplementation, we are ensuring the little guy is getting the nutrients he needs (which is more than normal because he is sick) so he can bounce back. Thank you, for being responsible and caring. It shows you have character and a conscious. Two things that this world could use a lot more of.

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use Tropic Marin that they make up at out LFS. I don't understand what the "water column" is? The timing is right for the Calcium issue.
Water column refers to the space between the top of your substrate to the surface level of you water. The fish swim in the "water column," if that makes more sense. When you feed, you drop food into the water column. Oxygen that your fish breath, are dissolved into the water column. That's why they have gills.

So in reference to humans, we use the atmosphere as our column. We get oxygen from air. We breath carbon dioxide back into the air. It's where chemical reactions happen and occur for us. (However there are other areas) Does this make sense?

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal, keep an eye on those and let's work on bulking his diet. Just remember, this is no guarantee. Do not be disappointed if it does not work out and things are possibly turn for the worst. In the wild, his fatality rate would be higher. You are learning and you are doing something about it, and that right there is what counts. Get a hold of that supplement, and find something your little guy likes eating. When we target feed, even with Iodide supplementation, we are ensuring the little guy is getting the nutrients he needs (which is more than normal because he is sick) so he can bounce back. Thank you, for being responsible and caring. It shows you have character and a conscious. Two things that this world could use a lot more of.
Awww thank you so much .... I do care. I am an animal lover be it land or sea.... I love this little guy. I will do everything I can to give him the best chance of survival. Thank you so much for your help - I was feeling totally helpless and cannot stand him hurting or dying. I know there is no guarantee, but at least you gave me something I can do to try to help him have a chance. Doing nothing would possibly ensure he didn't make it IMO. I will update you after this has time to take affect. Thank you again - so very much!!!

OP
OP
moonphaz

moonphaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water column refers to the space between the top of your substrate to the surface level of you water. The fish swim in the "water column," if that makes more sense. When you feed, you drop food into the water column. Oxygen that your fish breath, are dissolved into the water column. That's why they have gills.

So in reference to humans, we use the atmosphere as our column. We get oxygen from air. We breath carbon dioxide back into the air. It's where chemical reactions happen and occur for us. (However there are other areas) Does this make sense?[/QUOTE Got it... O.k. going to get the iodide. Fingers crossed!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back