Seachem phytoplankton color?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jkkgron2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2020
Messages
68
Reaction score
60
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Today I got some seachem reef phytoplankton for my bivalves, but I’m not sure if I got a bad batch. I know that the phyto is dead, but I thought it’d be dark green? Instead I got some dark brown phyto, and I don’t want to use it until I figure out if it’s bad or not. I do need to figure out by tonight though, since my bivalves have gone 4-5 days without food. I did add in a few fluval bug bites, but I know the bivalves won’t eat those. So I’m wondering what color the search reef normally is, and if I got a bad batch??

Thanks in advance!

Photo is of the phytoplankton.
A046CC5C-53B3-4C26-B7B7-6F4C33254858.jpeg
 
Not all phyto species are green. Does it say what type it is on the bottle? May be Isochrysis which is brownish.

Edit: looking at the ingredients online by order of percentage in the product:

Thalassiosira weissflogii *** this is a green-brown colored centric diatom
Isochrysis sp
, *** golden-brown colored algae
Nannochloropsis *** green colored algae
Astaxanthin *** red colored cyanobacteria
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new