seaclone skimmer

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my friend just gave one of those to me. i had it set up last night and its pulling out some nasty green slime. it doing a pretty good job but the pump is loud as hell. anyone have experience with this pump and know a way to shut it up?

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i didnt get it for the price, but my friend gave it to me. i have yet to pull out the pump to see if it needs any cleaning, i'll have a look at it when i get the chance.

while wondering about the noise, i was thinking that since the pump could be placed directly onto the skimmer body, would it be possible to have an tube that goes from the tank to the inlet of the pump, mount the pump directly onto the skimmer body. what do you all think? of course i have to think of a way to put the air hose in the equation somehow.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have used seaclones for years. They are good skimmers. The main thing is to keep the pump clean and the pump sponge filter clean. Also the air line gets clogged with hard salt. You need to replace it often or run some hot water through it and clean it out. Also after a year or so I have noticed the maxi jet 1200s looses there umph. It might just need a new propeller, but the pumps are so cheap you might as well just buy a new pump. For the price they do the job. Also if you ever have a leak the o rings in the tubing connections needs replaced. If it has set for awhile and not been used and leaks at the fittings, the o rings need replaced. They dry out and go bad.

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, one of the rings went bad. i just did a quick fix with a rubberband. the thing is working great for me. it pulled out a ton of crap. i guess i wasnt expecting the noise a skimmer makes as this is my first.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I can not believe a rubber band worked. I would probably go get the right one. I would hate to see it leak when you was not at home and cause a fire or something bad. I got mine at Lowe's in the plumbing department. Take one of your old ones to compare them to. Most skimmers are noisy, unless the are in a sump under the tank, but they are needed.

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want it to kick butt do the bio-ball, air stone and brass air valve mods and youll be amazed. When I had mine I was dang near filling a two liter soda bottle once a month with thick, dark, smelly skimate.

Check RCs DIY forum to find the thread

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not believe a rubber band worked. I would probably go get the right one. I would hate to see it leak when you was not at home and cause a fire or something bad. I got mine at Lowe's in the plumbing department. Take one of your old ones to compare them to. Most skimmers are noisy, unless the are in a sump under the tank, but they are needed.

well i didnt take any ol rubber band and just wrapped around the hose and jammed it in there. the one i have in there was a thick and small that just fits in the groove of the hose. its been holding up for a few days now. i understand what you mean if anything did happen and developed a small leak. but trust me, that feels a whole lot secure than the o-rings it came with

Try this to reduce some noise and increase efficiency

http://www.cprusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2875

i might have to try that and see if its any better

If you really want it to kick butt do the bio-ball, air stone and brass air valve mods and youll be amazed. When I had mine I was dang near filling a two liter soda bottle once a month with thick, dark, smelly skimate.

Check RCs DIY forum to find the thread

ive seen the threads about modding the skimmer and the pump. i want to do it, but i dont have 1 bio ball lying around. plus the skimmer is my friend's i wouldnt want to distory it if he wants it back. its skimming nicely right now. ill ask if he wants it back and maybe hack it up:D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%

Back