Seahorse Setup Suggestions

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it begins.I was looking for comments and suggestion or concerns about my new pony tank setup... 30XHL tank

light
AI hydra Gen1

4 inch fliter sock and holder
skimmer
Ice cap k2-50

return pump-634 gph
Tunze 1073.020

Reactor
IM Mini desktop BRS -high capacity GFO 6 tablespoons or biopellets
carbon rox.08

CaribSea-Hawaiian Black 20 lbs
Homemade sump 10 gallon
Miricale Mud 2.5 lbs

10g sump.jpg

20160412_124643.jpg

seahorse tank.jpg

k2-50 skimmer.jpg

207428_hawaiiblacksandl-a_1.jpg

Last edited:

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it begins.I was looking for comments and suggestion or concerns about my new pony tank setup... 30XHL tank

light
AI hydra Gen1

4 inch fliter sock and holder
skimmer
Ice cap k2-50

return pump-634 gph
Tunze 1073.020

Reactor
IM Mini desktop BRS -high capacity GFO 6 tablespoons or biopellets
carbon rox.08

CaribSea-Hawaiian Black 20 lbs
Homemade sump 10 gallon
Miricale Mud 2.5 lbs

10g sump.jpg

20160412_124643.jpg

seahorse tank.jpg

k2-50 skimmer.jpg

207428_hawaiiblacksandl-a_1.jpg
I have the same sand and chose it to contrast with the Red Gorgonians and Yellow Seahorses.

My tank is smaller and AIO so much less sump capacity. You definitely have much more space for filtration and equipment. I hear they are get messy and produce a high bio load so will have to see if my setup can handle it.
Your tank is tall which is very good as they swim vertically.
Do you plan to put in macro algae?
I will be planting most of the rocks with Seagrass and thinking of Caulerpa .
Feeding mostly frozen shrimp.
Only putting in two with a Clown Gobi , Pipefish and CUC. Softies and Zoas mostly.
Following along to see yours come out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
helldiver

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sand and chose it to contrast with the Red Gorgonians and Yellow Seahorses.

My tank is smaller and AIO so much less sump capacity. You definitely have much more space for filtration and equipment. I hear they are get messy and produce a high bio load so will have to see if my setup can handle it.
Only putting in two with a Clown Gobi , Pipefish and CUC. Softies and Zoas mostly.
yes plan on putting all kinds of macro algae ,a pipe fish, bangai cardanial mabey a dart fish i bought dragon breath today purple gordoinia,some caulerpa for refugium.I want to buy a red gordonian,I want to make this tank mostly planted
Check out these site site for all kind of designer macro algae

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes plan on putting all kinds of macro algae ,a pipe fish, bangai cardanial mabey a dart fish i bought dragon breath today purple gordoinia,some caulerpa for refugium.I want to buy a red gordonian,I want to make this tank mostly planted
Check out these site site for all kind of designer macro algae
I wonder if a Bengai might be to aggressive a feeder?
Here are some info on supplements and feeding.
https://www.southwatchseahorse.com/Food-and-Supplements/
My LFS horses eats mostly Frozen Mysis so not planning to feed live.
What are your plans for feeding?

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SeahorseKeeper and @vlangel would be two great people to talk to. Both of them have great experience with keeping seahorses. If I were setting up a seahorse tank, those would be 2 people I'd be contacting immediately.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the process of updating the tankmates guide. That one is way outdated, I'm afraid to say. Waaaaaaaaay outdated. We've all JUST came together on Saturday to totally revise that.

If there's something in particular you'd like to see on there, I would love to know. The ones that are on there, are all that I could find at the fish stores at the time. I hated using watermarks so bad, that I didn't want to use others' pictures. I've gotten over that, and we intend to fill the pages with fish.

OP
OP
helldiver

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the process of updating the tankmates guide. That one is way outdated, I'm afraid to say. Waaaaaaaaay outdated. We've all JUST came together on Saturday to totally revise that.

If there's something in particular you'd like to see on there, I would love to know. The ones that are on there, are all that I could find at the fish stores at the time. I hated using watermarks so bad, that I didn't want to use others' pictures. I've gotten over that, and we intend to fill the pages with fish.
Is the Level for cardianals easy to keep with seahorses what kind do you recommend in a 30 extra tall a pair of ponies

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaiis are smaller than the PJs and I personally prefer the look of the Bangaii, so that's the one I would roll with. I haven't found them to be big swimmers, so they should do better than some in a tall tank. Get the horses in there first and get them eating like champs.

The levels are a little.... conservative. When we started working on this, tankmates weren't a super popular recommendation. We as a group weren't really pushing it, at the time. Guides are often a little conservative, because you can't "talk" to people and get a feel for their individual needs, so you don't want to take any chances.

We are joining with Fusedjaw, for the update. I love Seahorse.org, but it's a bit of a ghost town these days. It wasn't always that way. Fusedjaw has a website redesign coming out and it ROCKS it! You'll love it.

FishRForMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try to make it easy to clean unless you have a big protein skimmer on there... Oh, and your seahorses WILL change colors and some of it has to do with what their surroundings are....

OP
OP
helldiver

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to make it easy to clean unless you have a big protein skimmer on there... Oh, and your seahorses WILL change colors and some of it has to do with what their surroundings are....
Where you get your ponies from I see we live close to each other

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back