seahorse skin flaking

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
realized i should have put this in this thread instead

both of my erectus seahorses have their skin flaking off and underneath is just discoloured skin. I treated the tank with amoxicillin last night. I have kanaplex and metroplex coming in, although not sure if I will need it after dosing amoxicillin. How long does it take for them to regain what has flaked off? How do I know if the treatment is working?

btw they are eating the same as usual and showing no signs of stress

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
realized i should have put this in this thread instead

both of my erectus seahorses have their skin flaking off and underneath is just discoloured skin. I treated the tank with amoxicillin last night. I have kanaplex and metroplex coming in, although not sure if I will need it after dosing amoxicillin. How long does it take for them to regain what has flaked off? How do I know if the treatment is working?

btw they are eating the same as usual and showing no signs of stress

check nitrate and salinity
It’s a disease known as I believe called vitrio which can lead to loss of the animal.
It can be due to ecto parasites or worms which are effectively treated with a 5-7 minute dechlorinated freshwater dip . Seahorse May lay on their side during dip which is normal
Assure also temperature is not elevated
TriSulfa treatment will also work for this issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check nitrate and salinity
It’s a disease known as I believe called vitrio which can lead to loss of the animal.
It can be w to parasites or worms which are effectively treated with a 5-7 minute dechlorinated freshwater dip . Seahorse May lay on their side during dip which is normal
Assure also temperature is not elevated
TriSulfa treatment will also work for this issue
it is a newer cycled tank and went through a little bacteria bloom which i assume contributed to this. i have a treatment going on in the tank currently. my tank did get a bit warm (75) so i am cooling it down again. do you this amoxicillin will do an adequate job as well? i have the kanaplex and metroplex ordered but it's not in yet.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
it is a newer cycled tank and went through a little bacteria bloom which i assume contributed to this. i have a treatment going on in the tank currently. my tank did get a bit warm (75) so i am cooling it down again. do you this amoxicillin will do an adequate job as well? i have the kanaplex and metroplex ordered but it's not in yet.
Blue planet tri sulfa would be a good one
Kanaplex is a maybe

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue planet tri sulfa would be a good one
Kanaplex is a maybe
Can’t get that in canada. getting a hold of kanaplex was hard enough. The fish med ban in canada is brutal. I’ll try with the amoxicillin and to lower the tank temp. Kanaplex and metroplex if it doesn’t work. Do you know how soon I should see them getting better/regrowing?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t get that in canada. getting a hold of kanaplex was hard enough. The fish med ban in canada is brutal. I’ll try with the amoxicillin and to lower the tank temp. Kanaplex and metroplex if it doesn’t work. Do you know how soon I should see them getting better/regrowing?
Ahhh . . . . Canada. See if Hikari Bi-Furan 2 is available

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok. so right now i have amoxicillin in the tank. When the kanaplex comes in, should I do a waterchange and dose the kanaplex instead? Or should I wait out the amoxicillin treatment first?
Amoxicillan may help a little. Stop next dosage and change water and see how kanaplex works

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back