Seahorse Tank Flow Problem?

term_paint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon Seahorse tank that is just setup. Still in the cycle process but my question is i have small power heads one on each side they are 240 gph units. I do not have the return pump running yet but these two tiny power heads do not seem like they are moving much water. Return pump is a DC Current Eflux 1050 gph pump. Do you believe this is enough flow. I am used to a standard tank with 20x flow and this just seems low. Please give me some advice it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon Seahorse tank that is just setup. Still in the cycle process but my question is i have small power heads one on each side they are 240 gph units. I do not have the return pump running yet but these two tiny power heads do not seem like they are moving much water. Return pump is a DC Current Eflux 1050 gph pump. Do you believe this is enough flow. I am used to a standard tank with 20x flow and this just seems low. Please give me some advice it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Its hard to know exactly because we don't know how much head pressure you have, (assuming you are using a sump tank) but I am guessing that you should have around 1200 gph altogether which would be 16 Xs turnover. A 75 gallon tank is both tall and long, and if you have rockwork in the display then the flow will be impeded. What you do not want is dead spots or slow flow where detritus, excess food or debris gets caught. This can allow pathogenic bacteria an area to populate and seahorses do not do well with dangerous bacteria. You should have a better idea when you have the return pump working. For your information, my tank has roughly 22 Xs turnover.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll agree with V as every setup is different and only experimentation is going to let you know for sure just how much you need.
It's not only how much though, it's how you direct the flow that has a big significance which again is only determined by experimentation.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back