Sealing brass or stainless steel

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cooking up an idea for a decoration in tank I haven’t built yet. The only version of the decoration in question I can find is made of either stainless steel or brass.

Is there a reliable way to seal this so it doesn’t leach and/or rust? Would three or four coats of clear spray paint work?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cooking up an idea for a decoration in tank I haven’t built yet. The only version of the decoration in question I can find is made of either stainless steel or brass.

Is there a reliable way to seal this so it doesn’t leach and/or rust? Would three or four coats of clear spray paint work?
You can use polyurethane to seal it. Just make sure it is fully cured and cleaned prior to putting it in your tank. I would let it sit for at least a few weeks in a dry environment and wash it well when done.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy;) with a 47 year old tank that used stainless rods to hold his live rock togethero_O But after that long of a run who am I to question....I installed the power cote system at the plant and discovered that Powder cote is PVC. You can get the stuff at sears or harbor fright. To get it to stick you have to charge it with static elect. then bake.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part epoxy might work. You would need to let it fully cure before use.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back