Sealing brass or stainless steel

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Messages
7,296
Reaction score
6,388
Location
PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cooking up an idea for a decoration in tank I haven’t built yet. The only version of the decoration in question I can find is made of either stainless steel or brass.

Is there a reliable way to seal this so it doesn’t leach and/or rust? Would three or four coats of clear spray paint work?
 
I’m cooking up an idea for a decoration in tank I haven’t built yet. The only version of the decoration in question I can find is made of either stainless steel or brass.

Is there a reliable way to seal this so it doesn’t leach and/or rust? Would three or four coats of clear spray paint work?
You can use polyurethane to seal it. Just make sure it is fully cured and cleaned prior to putting it in your tank. I would let it sit for at least a few weeks in a dry environment and wash it well when done.
 
How about the plasti dip stuff?
 
There is a guy;) with a 47 year old tank that used stainless rods to hold his live rock togethero_O But after that long of a run who am I to question....I installed the power cote system at the plant and discovered that Powder cote is PVC. You can get the stuff at sears or harbor fright. To get it to stick you have to charge it with static elect. then bake.
 
2 part epoxy might work. You would need to let it fully cure before use.
 
Use what you want to make a mold and cast it in something reef safe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new