Seam integrity..

Would you use this tank?

• Total voters

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Responding to this thread because unfortunately I seem to have a bubble in the lower left front corner seam of a tank I just purchased (90x45x45cm) as well; see attached. Tank has been filled to the brim for the last 48hr's and no change to the size or amount of bubbles. What do you folks think? Ok?

bubble.jpg

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tending to think it will be fine too based on the last 4 days its been full with no change.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Responding to this thread because unfortunately I seem to have a bubble in the lower left front corner seam of a tank I just purchased (90x45x45cm) as well; see attached. Tank has been filled to the brim for the last 48hr's and no change to the size or amount of bubbles. What do you folks think? Ok?

bubble.jpg
I wouldn't use it.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bubble.jpg
What I can't figure is how a seam that looks like this would make it through a companies Q.C. Even if the seams integrity isn't compromised it just looks like ****. Not something a quality conscious company would want out there.

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I cant tell are those in between the pieces of glass or just in the silicone pushed out of the seam?
There at the very bottom of the seam; I was looking at a 20 gallon long that I had set up as a planted tank for over two years that has the same type of bubbles in roughly the same location. I know the 90x45x45 is a bigger tank but I think in this case it should be fine.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im interested in this dog story
Haha well this was like 30 years ago I had a 30 gallon long on the old type iron stand. My wife and kids went out to eat I think we left 2 large under a year puppy's loose in the house. I don't know for 100% but I think they must have been playing and knocked the tank over. Neither one greeted us when we came home that was the other reason I figured it was them.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bubble.jpg

You should be alright. But saying that, some tanks have failed when there were no visible flaws present at all so there is really no way to tell for sure.

I agree with the above, regardless if the tank will be fine or not, whoever sold you that tank should take it back and replace it. Why should you bear the burden of a potential failure and thousands of dollars is lost and damaged items because their QC was terrible.

I wouldn't accept that tank from a shear risk perspective and I would demand a replacement.

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I stopped by the LFS where I purchased it and they agreed to exchange it for another; I think it likely would have been fine but problem solved!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I stopped by the LFS where I purchased it and they agreed to exchange it for another; I think it likely would have been fine but problem solved!
That's great glad they did that for you. Not sure it would have been a problem or not but I have had a tqank where the seam blew and it's a mees good Luck

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back