Would you use this tank?

• Total voters

illuminata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,
Would you be concerned with this bubble in the seam? It's on the top right corner of a 65g, 48" long 18" tall tank.

41038496090_a1aa34738f_k.jpg

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no, if it was lower with high water pressure then yes. But that high ehhh.... I would definitely fill it outside to the brim and let it sit for a day or two and see if the bubble has shifted shape from pressure. I work in a glass factory and we have onsite fab shops. So glass is kinda my speciality =)

OP
OP
illuminata

illuminata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no, if it was lower with high water pressure then yes. But that high ehhh.... I would definitely fill it outside to the brim and let it sit for a day or two and see if the bubble has shifted shape from pressure. I work in a glass factory and we have onsite fab shops. So glass is kinda my speciality =)

Once filled, the water will be at the bottom of the bubble due to the overflow, does that matter? Should I plug up the overflow and fill to the brim to test? Thanks!

OP
OP
illuminata

illuminata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank with water, I tried to take the same picture as the first for comparison sake - definitely noticeable changes to the seam. Thoughts? Never experienced this before. Been trying to read up as much info as I can before I proceed. From what I've read, it possibly needs to be reassembled, I can stick a syringe in it t fill? patch up the seam with a larger coat of silicone?

28987678158_f016688aba_k.jpg

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think injecting silicone will help. Puncturing the existing silicone might actually be worse.

I assume this isn't a new tank?

OP
OP
illuminata

illuminata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think injecting silicone will help. Puncturing the existing silicone might actually be worse.

I assume this isn't a new tank?

Not a new tank, I believe it's about 3 years old.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No standing waves for you. If it were mine I would remove all of the silicone from the inside of the seam with a razor then I would do the syringe trick as best as possible then re-silicone the inside seam with a clean slightly thick bead. I'm not worried about leaking, but rather the pane being able to flex and move more due to the shortage of contact. I've never used a syringe to fill a void but I would imagine you would need two syringes, one to vent the air, for it to have any effect.

OP
OP
illuminata

illuminata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys. All the feedback is appreciated!

Nope re-seal, it shifted way to much. That will slowly get bigger and eventually tear. Kinda like opening a ziplock bag.

Any tips on the reseal? Do I need to completely take off each pane and redo the seams? or from all the youtube videos, can I just take out all the silicone I can from the inside and reapply the inner edges?

This seems like a lot of work! maybe I'll fork up the cash for a new tank : /

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys. All the feedback is appreciated!

Any tips on the reseal? Do I need to completely take off each pane and redo the seams? or from all the youtube videos, can I just take out all the silicone I can from the inside and reapply the inner edges?

This seems like a lot of work! maybe I'll fork up the cash for a new tank : /
I tried to do this once I won't do it agasin just me but yes you really need to remove the plates and reseal the whole thing Good Luck

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back