Searching for Gigantea

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went and visited @galactic_coral and spoke with David, what a super cool dude; seriously. Just speaking with him for the hour or so we spoke... was like talking to an old friend. Ill for sure be back to pick up some of the prized goodies they have.
I enjoyed meeting you.. I'll be finding a good Mertens for you my friend.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A happy update to this search!

Gigs - 1.jpeg

Gigs - 2.jpeg

Received these two gems the other day from @Asagi, who's gone through the dedicated process of treating and quarantining an incredible collection of gigs of all colors. He definitely has the right touch on rehabbing and saving gigs that make it into the hobby. It's been a real pleasure chatting the last week figuring out which gigs would work for my tank, and he's been a great resource adapting my care to them the last two days.

Both arrived in great shape, and in fact the green (2.5") has been fully happy since being added into the tank. The purple (5-6") seems to be pulling through after a couple of deflation cycles (hasn't spewed anything brown/black as of this posting). I figured he wasn't getting enough current so decided to move one of my Neros to direct flow right over it (seemed to perk up almost immediately).

Related... I did have to remove my Emperor Angel from the tank as she decided to take an interest in some new Maxi Minis I received from Aqua SD (and the Gigs), completely eating one of the Maxis. Had the gigs under transparent 1/4" netting the last day to make sure she couldn't get to them (boy did she try!).

I'm a bit sad she's leaving the community in the tank as I've had her since she was 2" (6" now and just finished changing). She's a super curious fish, had a fascinating "friendship" with my purple tang, and got along with the rest of the tank (CB, Flame Angel, Mandarin Pair, Randall's Assessor, Lawnmower Blenny) quite well. Hoping to find her a good new home the next few days (if anyone in NY/NJ wants a great emperor for a FOWLR, get in touch!).

I'll try to keep this thread updated on progress with the gigs from here on out. Cross your fingers for these two (and for me). Thanks!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have been looking for gigs and mags. I don’t really want one shipped, but my options are running out

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too have been looking for gigs and mags. I don’t really want one shipped, but my options are running out

You're definitely where I was a couple weeks go: LFS resistant to order them b/c of their survival rate or lack of demand. The only LFS that reliably has colored gigs in my region is a 2 1/2 hour drive away in western Mass (I've definitely made that drive).

Seems there are some members on R2R who are making strides in getting these gigs to good health after they come into the country. I definitely felt more confident knowing they've already gone through cipro and were on their way to being acclimated to captivity, and, could easily see these two shipped better than previous gigs I had brought home after a 90 minute drive.

Good luck!

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A happy update to this search!

Gigs - 1.jpeg

Gigs - 2.jpeg

Received these two gems the other day from @Asagi, who's gone through the dedicated process of treating and quarantining an incredible collection of gigs of all colors. He definitely has the right touch on rehabbing and saving gigs that make it into the hobby. It's been a real pleasure chatting the last week figuring out which gigs would work for my tank, and he's been a great resource adapting my care to them the last two days.

Both arrived in great shape, and in fact the green (2.5") has been fully happy since being added into the tank. The purple (5-6") seems to be pulling through after a couple of deflation cycles (hasn't spewed anything brown/black as of this posting). I figured he wasn't getting enough current so decided to move one of my Neros to direct flow right over it (seemed to perk up almost immediately).

Related... I did have to remove my Emperor Angel from the tank as she decided to take an interest in some new Maxi Minis I received from Aqua SD (and the Gigs), completely eating one of the Maxis. Had the gigs under transparent 1/4" netting the last day to make sure she couldn't get to them (boy did she try!).

I'm a bit sad she's leaving the community in the tank as I've had her since she was 2" (6" now and just finished changing). She's a super curious fish, had a fascinating "friendship" with my purple tang, and got along with the rest of the tank (CB, Flame Angel, Mandarin Pair, Randall's Assessor, Lawnmower Blenny) quite well. Hoping to find her a good new home the next few days (if anyone in NY/NJ wants a great emperor for a FOWLR, get in touch!).

I'll try to keep this thread updated on progress with the gigs from here on out. Cross your fingers for these two (and for me). Thanks!

Thanks so much for the mention. It was a lot of fun working with you!

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to share a quick update on the gigs and my tank...

The green anemone has been rock solid from day one and is growing nicely (but, hopefully not too fast!), it's starting to show some deep greens and is just gorgeous!

Unfortunately, the purple has had a rougher journey in the tank, as it started to move to find an optimal spot, while also being harassed by my Oscellaris pair. I ended up pulling it out last week and ran it through cipro, which it just completed today (thanks @Asagi for including Cipro with these gigs!). It bleached out a good bit, and I'm hoping I won't need a Zoox transplant. It's looking much much better and as a Gig should (long, fuller, stringy tentacles)! It's now placed on a platform where I'm hoping it'll stay!

A couple other things. I've FINALLY managed to evict the 7 RBTAs from the tank, though that required a mallet and chisel and significant rescape. Had a bit of a phosphate bloom, which I'm dealing with now. Kind of sucks though as I'm starting to re-populate SPS in my tank. I also managed to snag a really beautiful, healthy small Mag from Pacific East a couple weeks ago, you can see it in the background of the purple gig.

I swear though, my clowns (captive bred onyx oscellaris) really do love anemone's to death... the mag had to spend a week in a separator box to stop the harassment from the clowns. It's doing much better now!

Gigs - 1 (1).jpeg

Gigs - 2 (1).jpeg

Thanks!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks nice and so does the mag.
I have been looking for a Magnifica lately. I found one but did not like it much. So hard to get a healthy Mag.
Seems BTAs are everywhere.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. Got my gig, and it’s great..... but Mags it seems like you have to spend $200 on a small bleached one, and hope for the best

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same. Got my gig, and it’s great..... but Mags it seems like you have to spend $200 on a small bleached one, and hope for the best

Nice! Did you happen to get yours from Asagi?

There's definitely truth about Mags. My first mag in the tank was bone white (got it from AquaSD), but has recovered nicely. I've oddly had weird luck with these guys, they seem far more resilient than gigs, in my experience.

Mag - 1.jpeg

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks nice and so does the mag.
I have been looking for a Magnifica lately. I found one but did not like it much. So hard to get a healthy Mag.
Seems BTAs are everywhere.

Thanks, just gotta wait for it to color back up now.

Mags seem to be more available at the moment, I was looking for a pink base/green tentacle before coming across the one from Pacific East (they almost never have anemones too).

There is a seller on ebay (Aqua Dreams) that often has high end nems, I got one of my previous (failed) gigs from them. They have an incredibly bleached Mag for sale right now, but if you call their store, they're pretty knowledgable and might be able to help you.

I also recently saw a vid from Galactic Coral that showed they had a mag in stock. Might be worth a call.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, just gotta wait for it to color back up now.

Mags seem to be more available at the moment, I was looking for a pink base/green tentacle before coming across the one from Pacific East (they almost never have anemones too).

There is a seller on ebay (Aqua Dreams) that often has high end nems, I got one of my previous (failed) gigs from them. They have an incredibly bleached Mag for sale right now, but if you call their store, they're pretty knowledgable and might be able to help you.

I also recently saw a vid from Galactic Coral that showed they had a mag in stock. Might be worth a call.

Yea I saw Aqua Dreams but some of his anemones look bleached. He has a crispa which was another I was considering but it is white.

I really want a nice Magnifica.

He does have a Mag too and it looks bleached.

Nice! Did you happen to get yours from Asagi?

There's definitely truth about Mags. My first mag in the tank was bone white (got it from AquaSD), but has recovered nicely. I've oddly had weird luck with these guys, they seem far more resilient than gigs, in my experience.

See I have better luck with gigs. I have such a hard time finding Mags around here in any shape at all.
I think the problem is so many are huge and they do not ship well or they get a rip in the foot or something.

Gigs are hard to get too though here.

Haddonis in nice shape allot.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steer clear of AQUA DREAMS...got a couple bleached nems from him..lost one and the other is so-so..the specimens may look good in the pics on ebay, but are kept in poor lighting conditions at their facility..If they've been there a while ..you will be spending a great deal of time nursing them back to health , if they're not too far gone by the time you get one.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To avoid quoting everyone, I will just say:

My Gig was in fact Galactic Corals, and it’s doing amazing, so thanks @galactic_coral

Second: I was told by them on the ohone that all of the Mags they’ve been getting are too sick to sell, or basically not up to their standards. So I guess they won’t sell bleached ones etc, which is good..... but I also have no idea about the video that was referenced.... I don’t have FB or IG etc

Is the ebay seller (I didn’t look at name) that is from “Framington Hills” or something similar, in Massachusetts????

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Steer clear of AQUA DREAMS...got a couple bleached nems from him..lost one and the other is so-so..the specimens may look good in the pics on ebay, but are kept in poor lighting conditions at their facility..If they've been there a while ..you will be spending a great deal of time nursing them back to health , if they're not too far gone by the time you get one.

Well people keep leaving him positive feedback.

I keep looking at the one he Mag he has. It certainly looks bleached but maybe not 100 percent but still looks in decent shape. Certainly looks to be some zooxanthellae round the mouth. I do not mind a slightly bleached anemone that happens. Fully is harder to recover from.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My retailer just got some mags in for me, I only want one but they got a few just incase. Going to look at them today.

They had one last week and when I emailed them but by the time I got there they had lost it and said they would get me another one. That was quick, they are a great retailer for sure. Always get me what I want. I just hope one is in good shape, they said they are.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back