Seawater Silt: Have you struggled with precipitate?

Have you struggled with precipitate? (select all that apply)

• Yes, with mixing station build-up.

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Yes, with pump build-up.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Yes, with heater build-up.

• Yes, with cloudy water.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • No, I have not struggled with precipitate.

Votes: 87 53.7%
  • Other.

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seawater Silt: Have you struggled with precipitate?

Whether it is calcium carbonate build-up on a pump or heater, residue build-up on the bottom of your salt mixing tank, or cloudiness in the water after carbonate solutions are added, precipitate can range from a minor annoyance to a significant issue. There are multiple potential causes from overdosing of Kalkwasser (sometimes referred to as lime water), low elevated temperature, low magnesium, and more. Please let us know if you have ever experienced precipitate in or around your tanks and share any tips or techniques that you may have to limit or manage precipitate.

RHF_Precipitate.png

Photo by @Randy Holmes-Farley; Calcium carbonate build-up. For additional info check out Randy’s article on precipitate.

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarFoodsBanner.gif

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Fritz rpm blue in a 5 gallon jug. The jug needs to be cleaned with vinegar about every month to get the layer of beige build up off the bottom of the jug. Otherwise I end up with flaky bits of precipitate in the water.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used HW Marine Reefer salt mix from day one as well as dosing with All For Reef. Over the 4 years now, very little build up in my mixing station. Never cleaned the mixing tank and there's a very slight discoloration - but no noticeable buildup. I also have it filled almost all the time and only change out water to replace testing now. I haven't noticed any precipitation on the heaters or pump. Salt creep of course in splash zones but that's really it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the brown precipitate seen may be iron that is a contaminant from the magnesium chloride. The white calcium plating may be from adding the salt too fast, or adding too much salt to too small of a volume of water.

There is certainly differences between brands!

Jay

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some of the brown precipitate seen may be iron that is a contaminant from the magnesium chloride. The white calcium plating may be from adding the salt too fast, or adding too much salt to too small of a volume of water.

There is certainly differences between brands!

Jay
Makes sense, I get the brown stuff from rpm salt. I'm going back to IO soon.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run an AWC via a tank in the garage. Last one was 300 gallon, this build is a 160 gallon mix tank. I was a long time user of IO but crawling 50 ft through the crawlspace to change AWC lines and dragging a big storage tank out of the corner of the garage to clean gets old quick! I switched to ESV salt and haven't had issues since the switch

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run IO Reef crystals and I do a wipe out of my brute once a month and paper towels are brown but nothing super crusty I mix for 24 hours with two powerheads they got covered some after 4 months but it wasnt stopping them from working just ugly. I dont think im struggling but it will defiantly build up if unchecked IMO if you let it

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I invite Hunter Biden over, apparently he likes it just as much as Parmesan cheese.

Ok, ok. My tank is fairly new (5 months), so I haven’t really experienced this yet. I’m sure I will though, since I am always putting my hands in the tank.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll get a buildup in my 65 gallon mixing bin after a year or so. Using IO. No biggie. I just pull it out of the mixing station and power wash it once a year.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problems? Not really. It's just regular maintenance. Part of my yearly cleaning day.

The mixing vessel, a 60g plastic drum, is just one of the things that gets cleaned. I empty my sump and wash it, inspect all of the plumbing connections, check condition of pumps, heaters, cords, etc. Clean the algae light, wipe down everything in the sump closet, replace the batteries in my water alarm... just regular maintenance. Usually takes me a half a day or so.

Twice a year, I service my kalk reactor, empty the sludge and wash the vessel, inspect my dosing pumps, clean the fans and cooling fins on my lights, wash my acrylic/screen top, test the high level water sensors, auto shut off and alarm systems. Maybe a couple of hours.

Monthly, vaccum the sand bed, inspect silicon seams, clean the overflow screens. Perhaps an hour.

Weekly, refill the auto feeder, clean the glass, 20 minutes.

Daily, hand feed, observe critters for unusual appearance or behavior. 5 minutes.

Doesn't everyone have scheduled maintenance to stay ahead of things like this?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the inside of my mixing station bin along with the response I received from TM USA when I emailed them with my concern.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1053.png
    IMG_1053.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 46

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've experienced it when I let mixed SW sit in the tank for more than a few days... the sedimentation once layers form is a pain to clean! Never saw it with Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt... only started happening once I switched to Red Sea Blue and Black buckets.

Woodmanreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saltwater mixing tank stays spotless due to I have a 7"×36" filter sock inside the 300 gallon container that the water runs through. In my sump I get some perception from alk onto one of the return pipes that are right next to were it doses. Haven't come up with a solution to that annoyance yet

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is after some manual scrubbing on my main mixing reservoir. I’m now doing a vinegar bath to get rid of the stuff that’s really caked on. Approx 1 year from switching to Red Sea Blue bucket. Really tough to clean out!

IMG_5682.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back