Sebae Anemone Time-lapse and advise

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this specimen has been in my tank for over two months now. Sold to me as a H.Malu but still not convinced whether it could be a H.Crispa, though it does spend the majority of the time near the sand bed.

Initially it footed itself at the front of the tank against the sand bed and some rock. This past week it has began to explore, I'm hoping all is well.

I was feeding 2-3 times a week but it wouldn't always take food and I've come to the conclusion I was maybe overfeeding it. I'm not going to feed it for a couple of weeks now and see if it improves. It has expelled a jelly like waste today and spent a little time hanging upside down.

Currently running fallow.
Alk 9.3
Cal 430
Mag 1350
Nitrate 10
Phos 0.1
Salinity 1.026
Temp 26.2c

Lighting x2 Viparspecta 165w over 90g tank
Running @ ch1 60% ch2 (modified) 15%
18k LUX at water surface, 20" to sand bed.

Any advise is welcome. Other than that enjoy the time-lapse!

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has it been moving to try to bury its foot in the sandbed? right now it looks like its foot is against a rock. Looks like a crispa to me, but I could be wrong. Do you have any head on shots of the tentacles?

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll grab some shots tomorrow Jamie, I don't have any decent shots of it really.

I have tried burying its foot under sand and up against the rock, lovely spot for him and looked really snug but after a day he decided it wasn't for him

I'm just trying to leave him be now and let him explore. I'll sort those pics out though.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that thick, rough-looking foot has me thinking it's a crispa, but I usually like seeing its tentacles too to be sure. A lot of the times, the shorter stubbier tentacles are malu, and the longer, fuller tentacles are crispa. (although, it's difficult sometimes to distinguish by tentacle, because of how the anemone is able to elongate/shorten tentacles due to being happy or stressed)

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers for your help again mate. The anemone looked absolutely terrible today and had me concerned, really deflated, upside down with material slewing off in places... it really has taken a turn for the worse.

I've decided to QT it for the time being. Still no bad smell but don't want to risk it in the DT.

It has always had smaller stubbier tentacle so maybe it is a Malu.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good. Really has taken a turn for the worse today. Foot inflated again and mouth has closed so fingers crossed.
77f5521cebd27f6c0946b83ae919f86c.0.jpeg

Considering starting some antibiotics now. I only have access to furan 2 though.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking good. Really has taken a turn for the worse today. Foot inflated again and mouth has closed so fingers crossed.
77f5521cebd27f6c0946b83ae919f86c.0.jpeg

Considering starting some antibiotics now. I only have access to furan 2 though.

Because it is so stressed, it is quite difficult to tell which one it is. If it is steadily looking worse, and you don't have access to cipro at all, I say, well, you have nothing to lose, might as well try the Furan 2 and see what happens. Keep us posted. I personally really like H. crispa's, and a healthy, thriving one for some reason is not that common to see in people's tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back