Anemone problems

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a six week old tank is a bit too new for them. They do seem to be happier in an established tank (IME anyway).
I agree 100%. I did not catch that for some reason. Anemones almost never do well is tanks that are not well established. I thought it said 6 months, not 6 weeks. That being said I would suggest you return it to the LFS or give it to someone with an established tank to care for until your tank is at least 3 months old, preferably 6 months old.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is giving me evidence as to this being a case that low alk impacts anemones. With the same logic, every element in water should be treated equally as important.
It’s impact is more of an issue with regard to pH and the rate of acidification that happens in a newer tank that is constantly converting bicarbonate to carbonate as carbonic acid from CO2 in the air and as part of the process of decomposition produces nitric acid. As detritus can build up in the sand bed and on rocks and CO2 can build up in a house with people and not enough ventilation you get more acidification driving the pH down and there is less oxygen available. I’m not aware of a product that will stabilize your pH at a range of 8.2 or lower down to 7.9 or whatever number. You could spend many hundreds or even more for a dosing controller. Now if you want to stabilize your pH at 8.3 - 8.4 (where I feel it should be on younger reef tanks) all you have to do is use any of the common blended carbonate & bicarbonate alkaline buffers available to you like Brightwell Alkalin8.3 (pH suggestion of 8.3 on the bottle even, what a coincidence.) that is designed to raise your pH up to 8.3 - 8.4 and no higher even if you really overshoot your dKH above 12. I’ve read and experienced a lot in this hobby and I believe it’s true that some Nitrate and Phospate in the water at a bit lower ph makes corals generally look more colorful and is somewhat closer to natural reef numbers. A reef aquarium is not the natural reef and so higher Alkalinity to stabilize pH at 8.3 -8.4, dosing beneficial bacteria, keeping the water completely oxygenated and minimizing acidification by gravel vacuuming waste and detritus from building up means a more stable pH that’s able to resist a nitrate spike or temporary buildup of CO2 that would drive your pH down at a lower alkalinity of 8.5 because you don’t have the biological filtration capacity, skimming or refugium to keep the least possible amount of nitric acid produced as aerobic and anaerobic bacteria conduct the Nitrogen Cycle.

OP
OP
P

Patryk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe an alk issue but rather light too bright, high phosphate or lack of feeding. If feeding powdered plankton food, feed Mysis shrimp or pieces of chopped krill
I was feeding with artemia brine shrimp or stynka(half for the big one and 1/5 for the small one) right now they moved and I think are slowly coming back to life.

They deflate when they are extruding but I read that's normal and they do the same at night but not to the same extend.

I'm slowly dosing kh each day to bring it up but doing it slowly just to be safe 10 mils from balling solution a day.

erichatesmice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank is too new for nems. I dont think it is an alk issue unless it is spiking. I keep my tanks at 7dkh and don’t have anemone issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back