Second chance 265 FOWLR

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a 265 with stand, canopy, etc. I don't need another full blown reef tank (I have a 240).

So the decision was made to set it up as an aggressive tank.
(I know I want a clown trigger and a snowflake moray but am taking suggestions on the rest.)

I believe the sump that was being used was undersized so I am going to use a 55 or 75 (or possibly bigger) gallon tank and make a sump. The tank has a Shadow overflow which I don't like. I prefer fijicube overflows so I am going to see if there is something Will and I can come up with to utilize the two holes that were drilled for the shadow and sell it to fund the fijicube overflow.

There won't be a ton of equipment thrown at this tank. A couple wavemakers, a good skimmer and a carbon reactor. I will have about 200 or so pounds of well cured live rock by the time its done.

The biggest project will be sanding and painting the stand. It's stained oak which my wife and I agree has to go!

This is the stand and canopy:

20200405_150931160_iOS.jpg

20200405_150955405_iOS.jpg

It's well build and in great shape so just cosmetic changes.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be a fun build to watch! That Clown Trigger is on my fish wish list for whenever I can finally upgrade to a much larger tank. Would a lionfish hold its own with those two inhabitants?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! I am kinda in the market for a BIG FOWLR my self. I once gave away a 240 with oak stand and new MH lighting -yes this was years ago - still waiting on the karma to come back around.

I think a good FOWLR is a bit under rated. I know we all love our corals but of you have the space it's nice to have the fish that will would eat you prized named corals with a stupid price in it own system.

when i get the basement fished I playing around with either a 300ish or go BIG with a plywood tank.

I think a good ATS would be a nice addition to your set up!

I also agree the oak it OK but a nice white stand would make it great!

keep the updates coming I want to see how this turns out!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back