Second-hand RSR350 (classic) sump help?

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo again forum

I got a Red Sea Reefer 350 secondhand, and it came with the sump. I know that the ATO tank that usually sits at the top is missing, but that's not too much of an issue. I think, though, that some chambers might have been removed?

RSRS350sump1.jpg

(It's in backwards, and I've yet to plumb anything in, as can be seen)

I think the chamber where the filtersock doohickey is supposed to be has been removed?

My question is, can I get by without the other sections? I have a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer, and I'd like to have a refugium in there, could I isolate that in one of those plastic mesh basket things?

My enjoyment when playing with and siliconing in glass panels is nil, so I'd like to avoid that if I can, but if the thing just won't work without extra panels I'll just have to suck it up.

I'd LOVE to hear anything more about ideas for good sump planning.

I've been googling, but I'm very new to sumps (less new to saltwater tanks) and trying to find info on this specific sump is a little difficult. A sump is a sump, but I don't think I know enough about them to avoid obvious mistakes, despite what I'm trying to learn. For some reason, this is one of the hardest topics for my brain to process.

I've got dosers for the future, I know they should go in after the skimmer to avoid clogging and what not.
I don't know about using filter socks at all, are they worth it?

If you had this exact sump (and skimmer), how would you set things up?

It came with a Jebao 6500 return pump, heater and Inkbird heater controller, Jebao 3-head dosing pump. I'll probably be setting up my own ATO system, but I have no idea how the float works?

I'm also on a shoestring budget, so I'd like to avoid upgrades unless necessary for the well being of the tank. Could I make my life a little easier? Yes. Can I afford to? No.

Thank you for your opinions and input!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just get a magnetic filter sock holder- of a roller mat! No problem! :)

Stick your roller mat (or filter sock holder!) and skimmer in the big compartment- and your return pump in the smaller compartment (to the right!) and you're good to go.

No need to glue in additional panels unless you're planning on a refugium.

Attached is my sump, although I only have a skimmer now in the middle compartment. The left compartment is a refiguim with no socks, no roller, no nothing!

Cade sump.JPG

OP
OP
DCJ

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CasperOe Dude. You just blew my mind! I love that, thank you for letting me know about them!

Ooooh, I HAVE been looking at the roller mats - I'm wondering about the ongoing cost re: changing the rolls, although I think I saw something about a rollermat that you can wash and reuse? Or was that something on a podcast?

I would like a refugium, does that necessitate an extra glued panel? Would the chaeto just get everywhere if I used one of those baskets?

You have an empty compartment, the one with a skimmer, then the third with the return pumps?

Hey, you know what, I'm really touched by how fast you responded, and that you took the time to upload diagrams for me (they're honestly so helpful) and just the fact that you took the time out of your day to do so. As a total sump-newb it's honestly so helpful, and I really appreciate it.

Thank you very much :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate, we aim to please :)

With regards to the running costs of the filter roller, I would factor in about 3-4 rolls in a year (i have used the Clarisea 3000 and the Red Sea 1200). Shouldn't break the bank- but it's not free either. It's about saving money where you can these days.

As for my sump, now I run what is known as a "Triton Method" sump with:
Refugium --> Skimmer --> Return pump.

I do not have any mechanical filtration. I rely heavily on my (very well lit!) refugium for nutrient export. On top of that, I aim to not do any water changes unless absolutely necessary. I would probably not recommend this method for one who's just starting up though! :)

With the sump you have there, I would look for a filter roller (of whatever brand you prefer! :) ) and a protein skimmer. I would keep both in the large compartment with no issues.

If you wish to glue in a sheet of glass and split it in to two to make room for a refugium, that should not be an issue. If that's the case, i would go:
Skimmer --> Refugium --> Return pump (as it's a different approach from mine!)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are curious about the Triton method that I try to follow, there's a good publication here and a good video here :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably be setting up my own ATO system, but I have no idea how the float works?
The float is dead simple!

A gravity fed ATO uses reservoir or bucket mounted above the tank or sump of the aquarium. An hose/tupe is then inserted in to the bottom of the ATO reservoir, with the other side in the sump or tank (your float gauge!). Gravity will then force the water within the ATO reservoir through the hose and in to the sump. To prevent all of the water from draining into the aquarium, a float valve is used in the sump, blocking water from coming out of the hose once it reaches the optimal level.

When the water level rises, it will lift the float gauge and stop the water flow! :) I am using a gravity based system just like yours in my tank.

OP
OP
DCJ

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;_; you're my hero

Ugh, ongoing costs! The other thing I'm wary of with that is, what happens when they go unavailable? I'm coming back into the reef hobby after a while being out, and I've just found out it's impossible to get my favourite salt anymore (Kent Marine). Devastated. If something like that happened while I was using a roller, and you know they make them in weird sizes so that you CAN'T mix and match rollers and rolls...

That's why I don't use Apple! Lol.

I think I might just 'invest' in those magnetic filter sock holders and pop one on during water changes/tank cleans, and otherwise go without.

I love the simplicity of your sump set up, and I also love using the refugium for nutrient control. It's really similar to how I run my FW tanks, on air driven sponges and no canister filters/HOBS/etc. I like to be as low-tech as possible, not just because it tends to save money, but also because there's less mechanical/electrical parts to fail and need replacing.

I was going my research and BRS suggested using Aquamesh as a baffle, I might do that. I'm really scared of messing around with glass, I hated setting up my Ikea greenhouse because of the glass panels.

Thank you thank you for that extra information, you really went above and beyond, I can't thank you enough.

I like the arrangement of the Triton sump, but I don't like the recurring costs re: getting the water tested and buying supplements, especially when the costs are so high! After everything I've read (so far), I think I won't really be able to settle on a good method until after I find out what levels my tank has to deal with.

I'm planning on a heavy bioload (2 clowns, 2 bangaiis, 1 bristletooth tang, 1 flame hawkfish, 1 royal gramma, a blenny, a goby, and then a handful of wrasse) so eventually I might need stronger nutrient export, but I expect it's going to take me a year or more to get the tank that stocked, only because it'll take me so long to save up for these fish, especially with things like the wrasse where I'd want to add more than one at a time.

I won't know if or what I'll need to dose until the corals grow in (I'm thinking mostly softies and LPS, maybe some SPS, but certainly not SPS dominated) and likewise for if I'll need any reactors, but I like the idea of mounting them with hard plumbing and gate valves above the sump, so I don't think I need to worry TOO much about space for those inside it.

That said, if I use the Aquamesh or similar, it should be pretty easy to move baffles around anyway. I would like a nice big refugium though, I really like them for nutrient export. I saw someone on here who had a sump with a lot of macroalgae and it was gorgeous in it's own right, I'm excited to set one up! lol.

Thank you so much for walking that through with me, I had no idea, but it really is easy! Might modify just a little plastic tub for the reservoir and get some tubing to get the valve working - that cuts buying an electric ATO system of my expenses list :D

@CasperOe you're a star and a treasure and I'm so grateful for all of your help! I hope you know I don't take that for granted. Thank you once again.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back