Second tank build ! 34 gallon frag tank

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all,

Being that I check local deals everyday it was impossible to pass up on this offer! I am picking up a 34 g deep blue frag tank stand and a 30*12*15 advanced acryclic sump for an incredible price. I want to start growing out corals and potentially trying to sell some locally.

This will be a slow build as I'll be acquiring parts over time unlike my main tank. This setup contains some more water unlike my main 30 AIO this is ~ 50 gallons.

I wanna start with several questions :

1.) How much rock is needed in my sump for proper filtration? 10 pounds ? Id rather not have any in the display unless it's necessary. I am feeling with making the middle chamber a refugium I may have to use DT for rock as a protein skimmer will take the rest of the space in the return.

2.) I don't need a massive protein skimmer correct ? Since I'll have max 2 fish my bioload will be minimal. Could I get away with a tunze 9004? Or should I reach for a larger style?

3.) The tank is 12 inches deep having egg crates for frags to sit in would being me to ~ 10 inches deep if I filled to the brim so call it 8~ deep. Lighting... I'm trying to think of most effective lighting without being overkill. I'd imagine two kessil 160WE are okay right ? Are there better cheaper options ?

4.) Need a good base point for a return pump. How is the jabao DC returns ? Any good vouching?

That's all I have for now ! So anything else I think I'll post back !

I may get some basic stuff from marine Depot memorial day sale ie. ATO, heaters

If anyone is willing to sell used parts to a fellow reefer I'm here

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) How much rock is needed in my sump for proper filtration? 10 pounds ? Id rather not have any in the display unless it's necessary. I am feeling with making the middle chamber a refugium I may have to use DT for rock as a protein skimmer will take the rest of the space in the return.

I would suggest looking at a bio media for filtration, such as siprox, martex, life bio fil. The live rock is not going to give much filtration.

2.) I don't need a massive protein skimmer correct ? Since I'll have max 2 fish my bioload will be minimal. Could I get away with a tunze 9004? Or should I reach for a larger style?

The skimmer is really going to be based on what type of system your are going to run. Lots of coral and fish you will need a skimmer that can keep the water clean. The Tunze is too small.

3.) The tank is 12 inches deep having egg crates for frags to sit in would being me to ~ 10 inches deep if I filled to the brim so call it 8~ deep. Lighting... I'm trying to think of most effective lighting without being overkill. I'd imagine two kessil 160WE are okay right ? Are there better cheaper options ?

Good light

4.) Need a good base point for a return pump. How is the jabao DC returns ? Any good vouching?

really good, one can adjust the DC pumps and I would suggest getting a pump that is twice than what your return is rated,

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest looking at a bio media for filtration, such as siprox, martex, life bio fil. The live rock is not going to give much filtration.

The skimmer is really going to be based on what type of system your are going to run. Lots of coral and fish you will need a skimmer that can keep the water clean. The Tunze is too small.

Good light

really good, one can adjust the DC pumps and I would suggest getting a pump that is twice than what your return is rated,

I heard that media type is great. It concerns me to not have ANY live rock though. I was thinking of putting ~ 20 pounds of live rock some in sump and some in DT at the corner or center to make it a little less of grow tank than a fish tank.

I plan on only growing out coral at the current time with one or two fish. six line wrasse and idk.

I feel comfortable with the 160we's so that's what I will be looking for.

Good glad to hear you also think it's a good pump.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line would be great for pest control. A tail spot blenny is great for algae control. You can probably get away with a marinepure sheet/brick but I might put a rock or two in the DT for the six line and tsb to hide in at night. I'd consider the icecap k2-50 or a cadlight pls-50 elite II. They're both small and rated for around 50 gallons

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line would be great for pest control. A tail spot blenny is great for algae control. You can probably get away with a marinepure sheet/brick but I might put a rock or two in the DT for the six line and tsb to hide in at night. I'd consider the icecap k2-50 or a cadlight pls-50 elite II. They're both small and rated for around 50 gallons

I love the tail spotted blenny so you just completed my stock list haha.. Yeah I was thinking like a cool central rock feature that is cut into the egg crates.

I will have to look into the k2-50 & pls-50 elite.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tail spotted blenny so you just completed my stock list haha.. Yeah I was thinking like a cool central rock feature that is cut into the egg crates.

I will have to look into the k2-50 & pls-50 elite.

Haha! The tail spot is an awesome fish! I cant wait to see what you do with the rock and egg crate. I'll be turning my nuvo 20 into a frag tank once I get my bigger tank up and running so I may emulate your idea!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the live rock, what are you expecting the live rock to do in the sump? Keep the nutrients down?

I like what @btmedic04 suggests of have the live rock in the DT and some type of bio media in the sump.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the live rock, what are you expecting the live rock to do in the sump? Keep the nutrients down?

I like what @btmedic04 suggests of have the live rock in the DT and some type of bio media in the sump.

Yes to keep nutrients consistent. However, it appears I was wrong and will probably just put one or two cycled show pieces.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see some photos attached! I've ordered a dKh alk hanna checker and phosphate hanna checker!

rM08r7n.jpg

HP5bKqA.jpg

8ZvyG6Z.jpg

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are people thoughts on protein skimmers.. I'm struggling to decide on one.

Not much of a bioload so I'm debating getting a smaller skimmer and letting my fuge do most of the work.

A reef octopus 110int is too much

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update for now !

Equipment acquired :

Sicce 3.0 for return
Apex jr to control and monitor

I still need a protein skimmer either ice cap k1-100 or k-50 whichever is on sale first haha and an auto top off

I've decided to go with a herbie overflow and plumb the returns over the top

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple updates today! It's a slower build than my main tank mainly because well... $$$.

Reefapalooza was yesterday and I had to have such incredible control in buying corals as my new tank wasn't setup and I couldn't house any in my main tank. :( Next year we will empty the bank. The location was set for my tank and the stand that I acquired from my local reefer did not work well.. so we will build a new one.

Equipment acquired:
Sicce 2.0 to replace my main tank which frees a better pump for water changes.
Apex Classic to control my frag tank Jr for main tank (Bought from Reef2Reef) the brain arrived broken... dealing with paypal now and sent it into neptune to repair.. hopefully
Tunze 3155 auto top off system
2x Kessil 160we (bought one off reef2reef which was under warranty still so had that swapped out for a new one)
All required plumbing / gate valves / unions.
Dry rock (i've had it stored away)

Need to acquire:
Protein skimmer (was about to pull the trigger on a k2-50 however, realized I won't need it for a LONG while)
Need to decide if filter socks or filter floss canister.
Need marine pure spheres high flow for my sump
Sump light for chaeto

Now for some pictures of the mess! As you'll see some small changes have to be done today

Attach149056_20190622_190100.jpg
Attach149157_20190622_220517.jpg
Attach149163_20190622_220733.jpg
IMG_20190622_174058.jpg
IMG_20190623_103844.jpg

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another little update:

The stand top level and bottom level received a water based poly. WATERPROOF

Today started plumbing and I still feel high from the primer haha.

So I would love some critique on my plumbing... Will be a Herbie overflow with a dual return over the top of the tank. I will be adding two more 45's into the tank to divert the flow. Looking to gain a LOT of flow from this system as opposed to using powerheads. Is this safe to do?

Also how safe is using matte black enamel spray paint on pvc that will be submerged under water?

Attach150868_20190625_144538.jpg
Attach150976_20190625_170126.jpg

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran water through the return line! No leaks... as of now. Made the line going into the pump a little short so it's not sitting right. Tomorrow I will get a coupling cut the two to add a little more height. I will paint the remaining black and we will be filled with vinegar and water to run / clean the system

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates!

We are cooking with water & vinegar. I added six gallons of white vinegar to sterilize the previous tank and remove any debris. I will let this run until the end of the weekend. Saltwater will begin next week. The return pump vibrates a good deal. I originally was going to add ribbed vinyl but I read it's to rigid to begin. Some have suggested putting pump on a sponge bed of some sort.

The plumbing!
IMG_20190627_175011.jpg

The overall look.
IMG_20190627_175007.jpg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be best to have a 6"-1' run off tubing from your return pump to the hard plumbing.

This will let it sit how it wants and also reduce vibrations

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back