See through marks on black clownfish?

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have hopefully attached a video of my clowns both of which have some white patches on them easiest seen on the black male and some even look see through on him! They are both acting the same and eating fine. I have added 3 new corals in the last couple of days but otherwise nothing different to usual ? Have looked through forums but can’t seem to see anything that matches so would be grateful of any ideas! 08EB3204-BFAC-4911-8283-7C60A688BB33.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7916.MOV
    13 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a shame but atleast the image is visible
I was able to view the video. I couldn't see any lesions on the orange clown, you say it has some also?

What species of corals did you add?

Jay

OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to view the video. I couldn't see any lesions on the orange clown, you say it has some also?

What species of corals did you add?

Jay
They look more like faded patches on the orange clown, on this picture it’s behind the stripe on her head. I added a Kenya tree, a gsp and a finger leather. I already have in the tank a frogspawn a cabbage coral and a small brain coral frag.

Attachments

• 7ADB8175-3F28-4D99-BF9E-2C25A37C38E8.jpeg
    7ADB8175-3F28-4D99-BF9E-2C25A37C38E8.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 51

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like faded patches on the orange clown, on this picture it’s behind the stripe on her head. I added a Kenya tree, a gsp and a finger leather. I already have in the tank a frogspawn a cabbage coral and a small brain coral frag.
I see the lesion now. Sorry, I don’t know what that is. The new corals aren’t ones likely to sting clownfish.

Brooklynella is the “go to” diagnosis for clownfish with white patches, but I don’t think that’s what this is.

This is probably mucus, but I can’t tell you why the fish would be producing excess mucus; irritants in the water, brooklynella and bacterial infections would all be possible. There is also idiopathic mucus production, meaning we don’t know the cause….

Jay

OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the lesion now. Sorry, I don’t know what that is. The new corals aren’t ones likely to sting clownfish.

Brooklynella is the “go to” diagnosis for clownfish with white patches, but I don’t think that’s what this is.

This is probably mucus, but I can’t tell you why the fish would be producing excess mucus; irritants in the water, brooklynella and bacterial infections would all be possible. There is also idiopathic mucus production, meaning we don’t know the cause….

Jay
Thank you for trying! I will monitor them and see how they go. At the moment they seem happy and healthy so I am reluctant to “mess” with them too much at the moment. They have been squabbling a little more than normal could that possibly contribute?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for trying! I will monitor them and see how they go. At the moment they seem happy and healthy so I am reluctant to “mess” with them too much at the moment. They have been squabbling a little more than normal could that possibly contribute?
Yes - that was the basis for my question if the orange clown also had lesions - if it was just the black clown, I'd be leaning towards aggression damage, but that is less certain since both fish are showing issues.

Jay

OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that was the basis for my question if the orange clown also had lesions - if it was just the black clown, I'd be leaning towards aggression damage, but that is less certain since both fish are showing issues.

Jay
Thank you I really appreciate your help! Both fish are still looking fine this morning and under natural light the lesions are not visible on the orange fish at all! Very odd! I will post if anything changes

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back