Seeding a Refugium?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be starting a refugium this week. I got an innovative marine full spectrum chaeto light. I was wondering how long it would take for chaeto to start to grow if I didn't seed it. Also how would I seed it if I wanted to go that route? Thank you.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what do you mean by seeding it?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the chaeto started. Like a jumpstart.

Unfortunately unlike most algae in our aquariums, Cheato is something that absolutely has to be introduced by purchasing some or even looking around a local reef club for members who can share some of theres when they harvest it. If you are looking to have a Refugium with cheato you will have to locate some and toss it in your Refugium :)

Oh and I will add it is a good idea to QT your cheato as well unless you fully trust your source of it. It can and will carry bad things into your aquarium if not properly dealt with in advance.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using either Miracle Mud or Mineral Mud in my refugium. Great substrate for Mangroves, and benthic animals especially that will reside in your refugium.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately unlike most algae in our aquariums, Cheato is something that absolutely has to be introduced by purchasing some or even looking around a local reef club for members who can share some of theres when they harvest it. If you are looking to have a Refugium with cheato you will have to locate some and toss it in your Refugium :)

Oh and I will add it is a good idea to QT your cheato as well unless you fully trust your source of it. It can and will carry bad things into your aquarium if not properly dealt with in advance.
How would you QT chaeto??

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you QT chaeto??

Well it's just a matter of having a second cycled tank/5 gallon bucket with a heater and a little flow and tossing it in there for a month. Observing for pests and such while its QTd. This is obviously extreme paranoia level but it's what I did, I didn't want to risk the livestock in my tank for a little algae.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dipped plants I bought from the hardware store to put in my dart frog vivariums. I used 10% bleach and the rest tap water. I'm not sure how chaeto would react to this ad I have never done it. I would make sure to thoroughly rinse off with tap water. Or you could just buy chaeto from Algae Barn. They are the only source of chean chaeto I would trust.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's just a matter of having a second cycled tank/5 gallon bucket with a heater and a little flow and tossing it in there for a month. Observing for pests and such while its QTd. This is obviously extreme paranoia level but it's what I did, I didn't want to risk the livestock in my tank for a little algae.
I was going to buy from algaebarn and coralRX it. I never understood people "looking" for pests on their corals/chaeto. They're microorganisms.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy from algaebarn and coralRX it. I never understood people "looking" for pests on their corals/chaeto. They're microorganisms.

Some larger pods are absolutely noticeable with the human eye and can eat corals and such. Bristle worms and fire worms are other things that can be seen with the human eye and can come in cheato. Both good CUC members BUT, some people don't want them in there systems. So inspection can definately catch things that you may, or may not want in your system.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some larger pods are absolutely noticeable with the human eye and can eat corals and such. Bristle worms and fire worms are other things that can be seen with the human eye and can come in cheato. Both good CUC members BUT, some people don't want them in there systems. So inspection can definately catch things that you may, or may not want in your system.
Flatworms would be the only thing I'd be scared of getting. A good CORALRX dip should get rid of those.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworms would be the only thing I'd be scared of getting. A good CORALRX dip should get rid of those.

I wasn't under the impression that CoralRX could kill the egg (encapsulated) stage of anything? I mean if that's the case, theres no real weight to the whole QT coral argument is there?

Just asking questions here and obviously if you trust your cheato supplier the choice is all yours.

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy chaeto from AlgaeBarn or LFS as others have suggested and dip in CoralRx as others have suggested. Make sure you have enough flow in the refugium to keep the chaeto turning.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back