Seeding Dry Sand with Bacteria Prior to Adding to Existing Tank?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 6mo I have removed approx 1/2 of my shallow sand bed do to various reasons like fighting LCA Dino's and calcified sand. I also have a Diamond Goby who has relocated a majority of the existing sand to a corner of the tank where he has made his home. In the past 6mo I have cleaned the sand that I removed and have some bags of dry sand on hand. I am looking at adding some sand back into the tank and due to the small amount of sand that is in the tank and wondering if seeding the sand prior to putting in the tank is recommended and if so would something like MB7 be ok? I was thinking MB7 because MB7 was the bacteria I added to the tank as part of my Dino eradication process. Also from what I understand is that once you have LCA Dino's and they are eradicated that there is still some in the tank.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is sand in the tank already, or if all you did was clean the remaining sand (while wet/alive) I personally wouldn’t bother with the MB7 (might help a lil with the system shock tho)
Also I’d bet the dino’s are still present, but reduced in number,,,maybe now to a manageable level …
…won’t argue if someone says different…

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to seed the new dry sand, IMO.

most helpful bacteria live on the live rock anyways and the new sand won't introduce any shocks. Just a bit of a diatom bloom for a while probably.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is sand in the tank already, or if all you did was clean the remaining sand (while wet/alive) I personally wouldn’t bother with the MB7 (might help a lil with the system shock tho)
Also I’d bet the dino’s are still present, but reduced in number,,,maybe now to a manageable level …
…won’t argue if someone says different…
I agree Dino's are more than likely still present and that is the reason I was thinking that seeding the sand would help prevent another Dino outbreak. I am still dosing a small amount of silicate along with dosing 16oz of my Nano and Tetra phyto blend I culture along with adding my cultured pods every 2 weeks. I also dose a DIY flocculant with 50ml MB7 once a week. So far this has kept the Dino's at bay.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to seed the new dry sand, IMO.

most helpful bacteria live on the live rock anyways and the new sand won't introduce any shocks. Just a bit of a diatom bloom for a while probably.
I can live with a diatom bloom. I still dose a small amount of silicates and don't have diatoms. I think my CUC and Goby take carte of that.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Dino's are more than likely still present and that is the reason I was thinking that seeding the sand would help prevent another Dino outbreak. I am still dosing a small amount of silicate along with dosing 16oz of my Nano and Tetra phyto blend I culture along with adding my cultured pods every 2 weeks. I also dose a DIY flocculant with 50ml MB7 once a week. So far this has kept the Dino's at bay.
Also the sand I cleaned has been bleached, rinsed and dried thoroughly.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I end up seeding the sand, which would be in 7-10gal of water, how long should I seed for prior to adding to the tank and is 68-70F water temp ok? Also can the container be covered or is some light desirable when seeding? We are talking about 60lbs of sand to seed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back