Seeding material

Omgitsjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use a HOB for my QT tanks and Im looking for a bulk supply of sponge material to seed my QT tanks with. Can someone point me in the right direction of where to get some sponge material on the cheap?

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Matrix. You can put as much as you need into a mesh bag and place it anywhere. Also, +1 on Amazon for filter floss rolls.

What do you currently use in your main tank or are you just getting everything setup? You could use old media from your main tank if you have one.

OP
OP
Omgitsjoe

Omgitsjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Matrix. You can put as much as you need into a mesh bag and place it anywhere. Also, +1 on Amazon for filter floss rolls.

What do you currently use in your main tank or are you just getting everything setup? You could use old media from your main tank if you have one.
I was just throwing filter sponges in the sump (I think aqueon) but it just seemed like a waste of money. Was looking for a cheaper more "bulk" solution. Ill look into the matrix, by seachem right? And how much do i need to put in a filter bag for a 10 gallon QT?

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with Denitrate. As far as how much, I don’t want to say the more the merrier, but I would say a mesh bag full may be enough for a 10g. Since it’s for your QT and you won’t have live rock in there the Matrix will be your only biological filtration.

You can definitely find many options for tools of filter floss material on Amazon to use also.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Denitrate works fine as a biological media. I used it for that purpose for years. You can also find bulk ceramic rings on eBay pretty inexpensively. A cup should suffice to start.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back