Seeding Pods in a new Tank

Rmarget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32G Coral Life Biocube it has been up and running for about 2 months. I used 35lbs of Life Rock instead of liverock to limit the introduction of hitch hikers. I have 3 fish, 10 hermit crabs, and 10 Astrea snails currently. I want to add some pods to the tank to get a population started, and I am wondering if I can go ahead and add some now, or do I need to wait longer. The tank has fully cycled and I am feeding the fish twice a day. My concern is that with it being a fairly sterile environment that they will just die off? Just thought I would get your thoughts on whether to add them now or wait.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee you already have some pods in there, but probably not enough to jump-start the population. IMO adding some now is a great idea. you seem to be feeding enough and have a high enough bioload to add some. If you have a sump, you can add some into the refugium too. Depending on the size, add them at night so the fish dont instantly eat them while they are in the water column

Last edited:

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the lights on? Pods are hardy. They can survive major fluctuations. If you want to ensure a thriving population dose some live phyto

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the pods! AlgaeBarn has a packaged deal where you get a bag of pods and a container of phytoplankton to feed the pods. Big thumbs up!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back