seeding rock

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have a question, i have my old figi rock that i cooked, bleeched, rinsed and dried in the sun and was in storage for 7 years so it was very dead.
i bought about 40 lbs tbs ocean live rock and some live figi from a member. mixed it all with my 50 lbs figi in a tank with heater power heads and light. its been
brewing over 2 months and will be for at least another month or so.
my question is, i really dont want the tbs rock in my tank cause it looks like solid cement bricks next to the figi. do you think all that good ocean bacteria collonized my rock enough that i can leave it out and still get the benefit of the bacteria.
i will break some up for the sump. thanks

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a question, i have my old figi rock that i cooked, bleeched, rinsed and dried in the sun and was in storage for 7 years so it was very dead.
i bought about 40 lbs tbs ocean live rock and some live figi from a member. mixed it all with my 50 lbs figi in a tank with heater power heads and light. its been
brewing over 2 months and will be for at least another month or so.
my question is, i really dont want the tbs rock in my tank cause it looks like solid cement bricks next to the figi. do you think all that good ocean bacteria collonized my rock enough that i can leave it out and still get the benefit of the bacteria.
i will break some up for the sump. thanks
In three months time it should be colonized in terms of bacteria, but IME it usually takes around 6 months for dry rock to become fairly indistinguishable from live (in terms of all the encrusting organisms and microfauna).

OP
OP
E

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In three months time it should be colonized in terms of bacteria, but IME it usually takes around 6 months for dry rock to become fairly indistinguishable from live (in terms of all the encrusting organisms and microfauna).
there is not much on the live rock besides paint

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. I would break up the TBS rock now into smaller pieces to fit in the sump. This way more of the rock will be colonized in the next month. make sure to “feed” the tank to increase the growth of bacteria on it

OP
OP
E

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes i have been feeding since ammonia went to 0 witch only took about a week, plus i added a clean up crew about 3 weeks ago. just a small one.
its in a 75 gal now so no sump but i will break some up. thanks

Back