Seeking feedback on refrigerated auto-feeder plan

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 12.26.45 PM.png

This is the plan for my auto-feeder. The biggest question I have is whether using the RODI line to clean out the food line will work, and what kind of valve/T fitting I need in the middle to prevent water/food flowing into the wrong place. Thoughts?

TIA!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have food sitting in your ATO line until the next time the ATO kicks in. Plus, depending on the length of the run, you'll have to pump a stupid amount of food to push it through.
EDIT: I also don't know if it's possible to have your doser push that stuff up through the tubing the way you have it.

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canister filter. See diagram. I can time it so the doser on the ATO happens right after the food doses. My tank runs with lily pipes, so I dose RODI based on evaporation.

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I don't think it will work the way I had it... (bear with me while I learn plumbing on a public forum).

But I think I could do it like this guy's:

1652470257763.png

Except, instead of flushing the lines by creating a closed loop with the sump, tank water, and an extra circulation pump, I would connect the RODI line directly to a manifold inside the fridge, then use the four channel doser to inject food into the manifold, and finally flush the line right after the food is injected using the RODI line on a separate dosing pump.

I have to add over a liter(~1200ml) of RODI into my tank over 12 dosing intervals per day, so there is plenty of fresh water running through the system to flush the lines.

OP
OP
monicalooze

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or...Would it make more sense to run the inflow tube from the canister through the fridge and then use a venturi to inject the food directly into my inflow (in reef language, return line)? I can't decide...the risk with the manifold is that it gets clogged because the RODI water isn't flowing constantly, and I think the risk with the inflow tube is that the food will sit mixed in the manifold forever. You're not supposed to mix reef nutrition products long term, and the original design from Bay Area Reefers (Squist), avoids this.

Thoughts @ReefSquad? @Reef Nutrition?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back