Seeking lighting recommendations for new 5ft reef tank

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, Planning to start a new 5ft tank with the depth of 30in (60 x 24 x 30) and writing to seek suggestions/recommendations on lighting for the tank. Planning this new tank to be more LPS & SPS focused with some cool softies.

Been looking around and the 2 brands that kept coming back (and available in my region with support) are EcoTech Marine's Radion LED series and Aqua Illumination's Hydra HD series. I am a little overwhelmed as each brand offer many models/spec (which model/spec, how many units, what colour spectrum, etc.) and optional items (like lens, diffuser, arm, etc.). Would like to hear and learn from experience, suggestions and comments on best lighting for this tank.... hopefully it will not be burning a big hole in my pocket ...:D...

Any suggestions and recommendations are very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
radion G5 pro and reef brite xho
+1 on this, if you plan on having sps, having a portion of the fill light from strips will mimic the effectiveness of t5s (brs even suggest that they are better than t5s) and make the light spread a lot better which is better than just only radions.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m alone here. If you want a mixed reef with sps up top and lps down low I would go AI. Specifically the 32hds either 3 horizontal with 1 or two reef rite strips one in front one in back or 5 32’s facing front to back of tank spaced every foot.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this, if you plan on having sps, having a portion of the fill light from strips will mimic the effectiveness of t5s (brs even suggest that they are better than t5s) and make the light spread a lot better which is better than just only radions.
Thanks for the suggestions

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m alone here. If you want a mixed reef with sps up top and lps down low I would go AI. Specifically the 32hds either 3 horizontal with 1 or two reef rite strips one in front one in back or 5 32’s facing front to back of tank spaced every foot.
Great suggestions, thanks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back