Seeking plumbing advice from the wise

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I’m ordering a new tank and it will be the first tank that I’m using mostly PVC for the plumbing. In the past I have used hose but it doesn’t look as clean. The tank is 30” wide and my plan is to have a return on each side with a small center overflow. Sump will be located under the stand. What advice do you guys have for me before I get all this started?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appropriate sized PVC pipe, CLEAR primer, PVC glue, measuring tape, unions, elbows, a saw of some sort to cut it(those handy dandy PVC cutters that look like large scissors work well).

Lots of beer, some swearing, a few pinched fingers, and your all set.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appropriate sized PVC pipe, CLEAR primer, PVC glue, measuring tape, unions, elbows, a saw of some sort to cut it(those handy dandy PVC cutters that look like large scissors work well).

Lots of beer, some swearing, a few pinched fingers, and your all set.
This may be a dumb question but how far does PVC generally slide into the fittings? I feel like knowing this up front will save a lot of headaches

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure a fitting, from the shoulder to the outside. It's different depending on manufacturer and pipe size.

You also cannot tell from sliding a pipe in, once you prime and glue it, it will slide in up to the shoulder on the fitting.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure a fitting, from the shoulder to the outside. It's different depending on manufacturer and pipe size.

You also cannot tell from sliding a pipe in, once you prime and glue it, it will slide in up to the shoulder on the fitting.
This is good to know

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do herbie or bean animal type drain for a silent tank. Try to design with as little elbows as possible. Would recommend a short piece of silicone attached to return pump before you transition to rigid pvc to isolate any vibrations. Post up some pics

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so do a single line up to the tank, and out of the return, then split it somewhere in the back with a T.
Personally would do two separate lines with 2 separate pumps for redundancy. Water will seek a path of least resistance so equalizing a single pump on two outlets could be a problem, that could be fixed with a couple of valves for sure

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on how much flow through the sump you want. I don't find much difference between a T and a Y. On a drain it's a different story, only because you want to reduce friction.

My last tank I did the same, ended up adding a gate valve to one side of the T to keep both sides the same in output.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
buy more fittings than you need...never know if you'll have to plumb for reactors, or if you mess up glueing.

if you utilize a lot of elbows for the return, make sure to size up on the return pump due to head pressure.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally would do two separate lines with 2 separate pumps for redundancy. Water will seek a path of least resistance so equalizing a single pump on two outlets could be a problem, that could be fixed with a couple of valves for sure
Completely agree, but most people don't want to run 2 returns either.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy more fittings than you need...never know if you'll have to plumb for reactors, or if you mess up glueing.

if you utilize a lot of elbows for the return, make sure to size up on the return pump due to head pressure.
Always.... Always buy more fittings then you need. It sucks having to run down to grab a single anything because you messed up. Unless of course your local plumbing store is right across the street. lol

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the extra fitting and lots of unions…in just finished my first plumbing job on my new tank and unions saved me a ton of work when I decided To change something. I also realized it’s nice to have extra fittings and unions on hand so if something leaks I have everything on hand for an emergency fix, and as stated above pvc cutters are omazing

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back