Seeking the Right Tankmates

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guys would like a new roommate in their tank. We have a Bicolor Angel, a Valentini Puffer, Melanurus Wrasse, a Banggai Cardinal, some shrimps, crabs and snails, a Red Gorgonian (sea fan), a Yellow Gorgonian (sea fan), and a feather duster. The tank is going to be a reef tank once established. It's our first saltwater tank so we taking every step required one step at a time.
Any suggestions on any peaceful and beautiful tankmates that's reef safe would be much appreciated.
5f69467cae3dfe3b266c329c1d2f6f0b.jpg
5ac351295f315e3389d950053cd90774.jpg
50aa92f074290fbf1367f3a026fb48f5.jpg
3cf61be4b39cbf8776c7e8b2893743e6.jpg
e5884793337f609fd81db592b076d254.jpg
fc438ca2236903dde65b0aa84c70f790.jpg
8ede3350c5916e557bcfa2f8f676feab.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gorgonians are beautiful!

Unfortunately they are also non photosynthetic.
The Sun does not feed them.
You do.
[emoji53]
With phytoplankton. Heavily and often.

And you need to filtration system capable of dealing with that.

The bicolor angel is beautiful but will likely feast on a lot of your future LPS. Every fish is different. But they are considered one of the least reef safe of the smaller angelfish.

Never kept puffers because I was told they were not reef safe.
You will need to research that more.
Some fish only eat softies and some fish only eat LPS and some fish eat SPS.

You have a beautiful tank but getting it all to play well with each other will present some issues long term.

What are your current parameters?

OP
OP
4n2xtacy

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Gorgonian, I make sure I feed them phytoplankton as regularly as possible (atleast twice a day, sometimes 3times depend on when they out for food).

With the filtration, I have a canister, an overhead filter and a protein skimmer, I do water change once week,or if my water parameters seem off before hand, and I check my water every 3days.

With the Bicolor angel, it did start to nip on the gorgonian but I tried something that seem to be working so far, when it started, i'll use a net to defend the sea fan immediately and spend hours doing that, after about a week, I noticed the nipping stopped, he'll occasionally eat off the algae on it without hurting the polyps, if the waves doesn't blow it off. Fingers crossed he'll be a gentleman as he is now.

So far the puffer had beaten all odds. He doesn't attack anyone. At first he'll nip on the snails and crabs and I tried the same net trick, now he's a perfect gentleman. And research shows he's also reef friendly.

So far all the guys all get along really fine. The wrasse, I noticed, would also always stand up to bullies and that also helped.

My water parameter have been consistently stable so far. Next water testing wil be tomorrow though.

Note* I'm not sure if my net truck solved the nipping problems but since the trick we haven't had any mishaps.

Thank you so much though, you were really helpful.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I love them both, I'll have to do a little research to see if I can have them both in one tank, but I really love the longnose hawk.

Unless you have a HUGE system with tons of rock and hiding places, I would recommend just one.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far don't see what size tank you have. Have to consider that all of these will grow and will eventually require a fairly large tank of well over 100 gallons.

BellaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Royal Gramma. I have one in with my purple firefish and they get along great. Beautiful fish and very peaceful.

royal-gramma-basslet-gramma-loreto-1.jpg

Also maybe some Anthias. They will add some color.

lg80645DisparAnthias.jpg

OP
OP
4n2xtacy

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far don't see what size tank you have. Have to consider that all of these will grow and will eventually require a fairly large tank of well over 100 gallons.
I have a 75gal tank...so far research shows the guys in it would be good in a 75gal

OP
OP
4n2xtacy

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Royal Gramma. I have one in with my purple firefish and they get along great. Beautiful fish and very peaceful.

royal-gramma-basslet-gramma-loreto-1.jpg

Also maybe some Anthias. They will add some color.

lg80645DisparAnthias.jpg
These looks super beautiful... I'm really excited. Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any special acclimation tips? I’ve heard some stories about those two hawks being territorial and constantly stressing each other out in a tank that small.

How long have you had the longnose hawk fish and the flame hawk fish in the same 80 gallon system?
Can you tell me a little bit about the tank and their interactions?
Thanks!
I have only had these two together for a couple of months, but have kept the 2 together on previous occassions without issue.

I got smaller individuals. This time the longnose was in a couple of weeks prior to the flame. They completely ignore each other.

The only times I had one behave aggressively was when I tried to pr flame hawks together. One chased the other for a couple of weeks, but then settled down. Usually both species pr pretty readily.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back