Stocking for 75 gallon

Saltwtrnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I recently upgraded my tank to from a 34 gal cube to a 75 gallon, right now it’s fish and live rock however we will be getting some coral’s eventually. Current stocking list is:
Wyoming white clown
Royal gramma
Firefish goby
Eibli red striped angelfish
2 Picasso clowns
Blue neon goby
Valentini puffer
Mandarin dragonett
Red knob starfish
Halloween hermit
Various small Hermits
About 11 nazerous snails
5 turbos

Looking to get more/larger fish for the tank and hoping for opinions on if they will go
Well with my current stocking and each other:
Blue hippo tang
Foxface
Ornate Leopard or melanurus wrasse
Red banded pipefish
Tiger pistol shrimp/Diamond watchman goby combo
Purple pincushion urchin
A couple of feather dusters

My main questions are if they will all get along? Are the wrasses known to be aggressive? Which wrasse would be better in this community? And is this too many fish, am I at my stocking limit? Or do I have wiggle room for more? Thank you in advance!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to blue tang and foxface. They get way to big for your tank. Foxface especially, have one that was an inch 3 months ago. Not pushing six inches. Blue hippo tang as a baby many but you will need to re home, they also grow on the fast side, mine is a baby in a 125 and super active, loves the space. The puffer will eat the shrimp, either shrimps or puffers, puffers love shrimp. Would go with a melenarus wrasse, ornate leopards are hard to get eating. @Slocke and @icantthink
Can help with wrasse choices better! Would pass on the pipefish, they are super delicate. Some people have them with bigger aggressive fish but usually not a good idea. Care is similar to sea horses and specialized from what I researched when I wanted one.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not 3 ocellaris clownfish. One will be killed by the others.

As for the wrasse those are fairly peaceful though melenarus can be a little aggressive. Ornate leopards are sensitive and should be an early fish and need to be well sourced. I’d advise getting a smaller species of fairy or flasher too.

I also agree that a blue hippo is a terrible idea. A bristle tooth or a one spot fox maybe but they are both still probably too big.

Everything else looks good though.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for the wrasse those are fairly peaceful though melenarus can be a little aggressive. Ornate leopards are sensitive and should be an early fish and need to be well sourced. I’d advise getting a smaller species of fairy or flasher too.

I also agree that a blue hippo is a terrible idea. A bristle tooth or a one spot fox maybe but they are both still probably too big.

Yep I say no on any foxface, they will outgrow the tank in a month and a half. Grow like a weed! Bristletooth I probably would say no to as well, adult size is 8 inches. Big active fish for a 75 gallon. Tangs should be in a minimum of six foot long tank with how active they are

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I say no on any foxface, they will outgrow the tank in a month and a half. Grow like a weed! Bristletooth I probably would say no to as well, adult size is 8 inches. Big active fish for a 75 gallon. Tangs should be in a minimum of six foot long tank with how active they are
Bristletooths at max get to around 4 inches, with the exception of Chevrons and Striated Bristletooths.
And IME, these guys are less active than their relatives as they stick closer to the rocks instead of being in the water column 24/7. I’d say a Tomini should be alright in this tank size, and a Foxface should also be alright as they don’t get giant - I’ve found most max out at around 6-7 inches and don’t get to their 9-10” length in captivity. They also don’t swim much, my two are huge on just sitting and enjoying life. Other rabbits will swim more but Foxfaces generally just perch and then swim but don’t do laps around a tank.
My magnificent is 4 years with me and he is probably at best 7 inches, yet most of the time unless it’s feeding, he will perch and watch the others.
IMG_7797.jpeg

The same occurs with my Tongan Black where he just perches in a cave quite happily, then he’ll come out and just sit next to my Magnificent on look out. He’s probably around 7 inches (he’s only just larger than the magnificent).
IMG_7842.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I recently upgraded my tank to from a 34 gal cube to a 75 gallon, right now it’s fish and live rock however we will be getting some coral’s eventually. Current stocking list is:
Wyoming white clown
Royal gramma
Firefish goby
2 Picasso clowns
Blue neon goby
Valentini puffer
Mandarin dragonett
Red knob starfish
Halloween hermit
Various small Hermits
About 11 nazerous snails
5 turbos

Looking to get more/larger fish for the tank and hoping for opinions on if they will go
Well with my current stocking and each other:
Blue hippo tang
Foxface
Ornate Leopard or melanurus wrasse
Red banded pipefish
Tiger pistol shrimp/Diamond watchman goby combo
Purple pincushion urchin
A couple of feather dusters

My main questions are if they will all get along? Are the wrasses known to be aggressive? Which wrasse would be better in this community? And is this too many fish, am I at my stocking limit? Or do I have wiggle room for more? Thank you in advance!
Some wrasses can be aggressive as said above, however if you stick to Leopards, Fairies, Pencils and smaller Halichoeres then generally you’ll be fine with boisterous tendencies.
Just watch out for anything like Thalassoma and larger Halichoeres species as these can be more boisterous (I’ve personally been lucky with my 4 year old Jade Wrasse in which she isn’t a nightmare with aggression).

If you give a list of other wrasses you like, we can help to sort through the list and see which are good for your tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooths at max get to around 4 inches, with the exception of Chevrons and Striated Bristletooths.
And IME, these guys are less active than their relatives as they stick closer to the rocks instead of being in the water column 24/7. I’d say a Tomini should be alright in this tank size, and a Foxface should also be alright as they don’t get giant - I’ve found most max out at around 6-7 inches and don’t get to their 9-10” length in captivity. They also don’t swim much, my two are huge on just sitting and enjoying life. Other rabbits will swim more but Foxfaces generally just perch and then swim but don’t do laps around a tank.
My magnificent is 4 years with me and he is probably at best 7 inches, yet most of the time unless it’s feeding, he will perch and watch the others.
IMG_7797.jpeg

The same occurs with my Tongan Black where he just perches in a cave quite happily, then he’ll come out and just sit next to my Magnificent on look out. He’s probably around 7 inches (he’s only just larger than the magnificent).
IMG_7842.jpeg
My fox swims all the time lol active dude. And Ive seen several bristletooths at my lfs that were around 6 inches, big ol boys! My cousins white tail is 5 inches now :) I love your foxes, super cool! My magnificent is kind of a butthole so I didnt get another like I wanted to. He kinda terrorizes other fish, mostly my butterfly lol since he realized he is the biggest fish in there

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked at how big and active tangs are in the wild. Also how much fatter they seem to be generally. I think people think I hate tangs. I just don’t think they are appropriate for most people/tanks.

OP
OP
S

Saltwtrnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you! Believe it or not I have had the 3 clowns in the same tank together for over a month with no issues…all 3 swim together all day!

OP
OP
S

Saltwtrnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp and diamond watchman goby don’t usually pair. Now there are exceptions, I might have seen a picture of them pairing but it’s very unusual. Just a thought.
I didn’t realize that…thank you. I will look into goby’s that pair with pistol shrimp

OP
OP
S

Saltwtrnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7797.jpeg

IMG_7842.jpeg
Thank you! I bought a one spot foxface last night.

OP
OP
S

Saltwtrnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a small 2 inch one spot foxface last night and also a flame hawk. So my current stock list is for fish is:
Wyoming white clown
Royal gramma
Firefish goby
2 Picasso clown
Blue neon goby
Valentini puffer
Mandarin dragonett
Flame hawk
One spot foxface
11 fish, mostly small 2 inches or less although I know the foxface will get larger, the rest shouldn’t get much larger. I don’t want to Overstock but just wondering if I can safely put anymore fish. If so, any recommendations based upon what I currently have? I still have my eye on wrasses, I have ruled out any tangs based upon everyone’s advice. Thank you all again

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a small 2 inch one spot foxface last night and also a flame hawk. So my current stock list is for fish is:
Wyoming white clown
Royal gramma
Firefish goby
2 Picasso clown
Blue neon goby
Valentini puffer
Mandarin dragonett
Flame hawk
One spot foxface
11 fish, mostly small 2 inches or less although I know the foxface will get larger, the rest shouldn’t get much larger. I don’t want to Overstock but just wondering if I can safely put anymore fish. If so, any recommendations based upon what I currently have? I still have my eye on wrasses, I have ruled out any tangs based upon everyone’s advice. Thank you all again
Could add a blenny! Just be sure to re home or upgrade for the fox. They get big really really fast

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wyoming white clown
Royal gramma
Firefish goby
2 Picasso clown
Blue neon goby
Valentini puffer
Mandarin dragonett
Flame hawk
One spot foxface
What does your rockscape look like?

There is a way you could keep that fox long term however it would result in a rather open rockscape where you can form an 8 shaped swimming room.

OP
OP
S

Saltwtrnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your rockscape look like?

There is a way you could keep that fox long term however it would result in a rather open rockscape where you can form an 8 shaped swimming room.
Rocks have 2 large caves on the right side and left side. The middle is an open arch. The foxface has mostly been hanging in the left side cave since I got him but he comes out to swim at times. I think he’s timid because the angel bullied him the first night but she’s been peaceful since
C5B7B0F3-BD4A-48F4-B632-DBF3CD7EA420.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks have 2 large caves on the right side and left side. The middle is an open arch. The foxface has mostly been hanging in the left side cave since I got him but he comes out to swim at times. I think he’s timid because the angel bullied him the first night but she’s been peaceful since
C5B7B0F3-BD4A-48F4-B632-DBF3CD7EA420.jpeg
Honestly, long term you’ll find you’ll need to remove some of the rocks to be able to keep the rabbit long term. This will both reduce but also create more territory as your corals grow out.

Ideally your rock scape wants to give a figure 8 swimming space for any quicker growing fish. This allows them to be able to swim in different areas at a time. Also, making your main caves taller helps a lot. I have found my two rabbits love the caves now as they are much taller in height. Yes it does remove some of the up top swim room but most of my surface swimmers are smaller species of wrasses and a tilefish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back