"Seems" like it's time for a new build....

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!
It's that time for a new build thread. My 90 gallon acrylic has started popping seams on the top showing seperation and it's time to start a new build thread. I'm going from a 90 gallon 48x18x24 to an 80 gallon shallow reef 48x24x16. I'm super stoked for this build as it'll be my second build so I can take into consideration all those wants and needs from my first build and incorporate into this one. I will be building the stand and adding a nice piece of oak wood (4'x6') under the stand to spread the load. Going to build a standard 2"x6" stand with no center brace to open the sump area up a bit as well. Ordering tank tomorrow and should be bringing it home next Tuesday or Wednesday. Doing new sand (non live so as to not cause a cycle from whatever die off is in the bag) and transferring all rock I can. The rest will be plumbed into a 20long under the tank to keep the same bio filter I have. Stay tuned! It will be a pretty quick build as I have 1 week to finish the flooring and stand before tank arrives. Once it's here, shooting for a toga tank changeout in 24 hrs. Lots of coffee and cursing to come! Oh, and pics all the way as I go!

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the current seams on the 90 gal. I must admit, I'm going to be sweating a bit until the changeover is done.
IMG_7516.JPG
IMG_7517.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp... I've gotten as far as getting the 4x6 base wood cut for under the stand. Went with a 3/4" oak (Not really photo worthy yet) Going to hit the edges with a router tomorrow and possibly stain/seal it if time allows. I will also be receiving the true tank dimensions to begin Designing and rounding up stand construction material.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snagged up a bunch of lumber today. Going with a 2x4 build instead of 2x6. Think 2x6 would add extra stand weight and be a little overkill for what I'm building. Anyone beg to differ for an 80 gallon tank and think I should go with 2x6? Interested to hear others opinions as well. To my understanding 2x6 is more in the 120+ range and even then debatable on a properly built stand. Got the true measurements for tank and order placed today. Big shout out to @Joe Knows Reefs for the clutch connection and making this build possible! Thanks! Hope to actually start construction after work tomorrow and have some pictures to share.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also eliminating my wet/dry unit turned into a sump and adding the 20L with a refugium section for chateo. The 14gal biofuge will transfer, keeping that same sand bed as well as any rock that doesn't fit in my DT. I also have another random 10 gallon laying around I may incorporate somehow in sump design. I'll have more of a clue once stand built and get a real feel of space under the tank.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much progress today. Got the conduit bent and installed today for a test fit. Just need to paint it black now and put some end caps on. Also put a small 18" led shop light in the stand for easy viewing. Tonight I'm ordering the American DJ power bar to make switching on and off items nice and easy. Can't tell ya how many time the wife has called and said power out (only for a min or two interval), but ask to unplug the skimmer and always leads into the "which plug is that" convo. Lol. Labelmaker, check.
I also got my call into the glass shop to pickup some pieces tomorrow for the 20L sump build.
IMG_7539.JPG

Marlon2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing the same as aquarium masters. That's the one I got how much was yours

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing the same as aquarium masters. That's the one I got how much was yours
Same dimensions, yes. Caught it on a sale running till end of March so it was a steal. $415 for starfire. I'm maybe $100 give or take a bit on the stand, light hangers, glass, and knickknacks. Any pics of yours? Still trying to get an aquascape plan together. Going to be a bit difficult as I'll be swapping straight from one tank to the other and a lot of corals are already bonded to rocks.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Got the stand primed and ready for skinning. Rails cut to length and painted. Top piece cut (not attached or stained yet). Going to pickup tank today and see what else I can get done today. Glass shop delayed my cuts, so may be Monday before the sump is ready. Know I'm going on a treasure hunt today for some M10x1.0 bolts today. Wish me luck.
IMG_7552.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back