"Seems" like it's time for a new build....

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found bolts to place through bars that screw directly onto the kessil light fixture. Need to spray them black to match still and clean it up a bit. Tested stain on a piece of hardwood ply for skin. Two more coats and should get the depth of color I want. Then on to paint the inside of stand on sides. It's a stain and poly in one.
I've been trying to figure out a way to keep my curious cat out the back yet keep the sump open on the rear, so I'm opting for window screen stapled across the back to cut back on seeing behind the stand and hopefully keep my cat out. Either that or he will climb it like he does my patio screen.
IMG_7555.JPG
IMG_7558.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making progress. (Front panel detail and stain yet to come) Few more tweaks, finishing touches to stand, and some plumbing to do. Shooting for a Wednesday swap over. Have a reefing buddy coming by to give a hand. If nothing more than moral support, I'll be happy. Lol. Might get the wife to take kiddo out for the eve. I can forsee the expletives flying. Haha.
IMG_7560.JPG

Marlon2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man looks great. What are the dimensions of the stand? I built the frame for my stand already. Do you have pics of the leg you had to trim for overflow? Haven't had time to add the support beams on the side and center. My plan is to lay some 2×4 sideways or some 1×2 on the bottom and plywood over to make like a shower tub to catch any water and caulking and water proofing. On the plus side my good buddy has a good buddy that was selling a trigger systems crystal elite 36 for a 100 and a eshopps 150 for 150. He gave me the sump and I gave him frags for the skimmer. Saved me close to 700$ He also gave me the plumming which I might paint blue since I'm not a fan of red so much. And my good buddy told me he will make me my ato reservoir and dosing reservoirs. Here is my sketch up should fit perfect in the stand
9e0f244c8c7d4fcc60ff9b95607541a5.jpg
1167bccae2fcfcbd7dc35bde892818e0.jpg
9bc23809c909f2c9239f6a921cf025f1.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome score on the equipment! Congrats! Same skimmer I run and have been happy so far. Only issue is getting the nutrients up, opposite of most people's problem. Lol. The stand is actually 48.5x24.5. The tank footprint is 48x24x16, but I had the seller get true dimensions and with the trim on bottom was 48 3/8"x24 3/8". I'll get pics of exactly what I need to trim today when pull the tank down to plane the top.
Since not structural and simply for water containment, could simply put a sheet of 1/4" at floor level inside the stand and silicone corners and water seal creating a trough?

Marlon2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good idea at the bottom. I made my stand 49x25 gave myself and inch . It's 36 inches tall but will have 1 inch ply on top. How tall is yours

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found bolts to place through bars that screw directly onto the kessil light fixture. Need to spray them black to match still and clean it up a bit.
IMG_7555.JPG

Everything looks great! FYI, you should easily be able to find some black socket head screws that size at any hardware or big box store. IMO they'd look even better and save you from having to paint the hex heads.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx @donnievaz ! I've looked and looked and had no luck. Then again, I have no idea what size the bolts are I have as I found em in a big box of random screws. When shopping for the proper size bolt which I researched as a M10x1.0 thread pattern, I was never able to find them. I may just take the fixture to a local shop that has more hard to find items.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx @donnievaz ! I've looked and looked and had no luck. Then again, I have no idea what size the bolts are I have as I found em in a big box of random screws. When shopping for the proper size bolt which I researched as a M10x1.0 thread pattern, I was never able to find them. I may just take the fixture to a local shop that has more hard to find items.

Might want to check the auto parts store as well.

bhavy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to pack in 2x4's so the legs support the cross beams
As it stands all the weight are on the ends of the 2x4's and the 3 screws or nails in the front and side beams

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back