Selecting a microscope

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, probably so!
Also one more comment on microscope + phone pics. You may find you can adjust white balance on phone camera to account for the yellow light of the old microscope bulb, and get truer color pics - color is surprisingly helpful in putting an organism in the right identification ballpark.

Step 1: Keep calm; don't overreact. :D

That's the main step, so if you get that right it'll work out!

Remember that you're the #1 CUC and that you need snail help!

We'll see you at that link when you post it. :) :)

Thank you all greatly for be an assistance, especially making me feel progress on how to use my scope to its best ability. I've had my scope a while now and know very little, now it feels worth while having one ;)

See you on the dark side gang,
Tank Log: Many ways to skin a reef, this is mine. (54 Litre/14 Gallon)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ne.-(54-Litre-14-Gallon).376872/&share_type=t

A.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you pointed this out....I've wondered what difference tungsten lighting made aside from heat!
Honestly, your eye/brain does a lot of adjusting, so I didn't notice how much color gets obscured and shifted until taking pics under different microscope lights.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh, you've got all kinds of goodies!

1st pic, filamentous algae. clear segmentation, so not bryopsis or derbesia, not thin slices like a cyano, looks close to cladophora but not quite right. gonna defer to others, @Jose Mayo
2nd pic lots of small wedge-shaped epiphytic diatoms something like licmophora, etc
3rd at least 2 diff kinds of filamentous algae (see 4th pic), man, that's a lot of tiny diatoms, and a few ostreopsis dino cells.
4th great shot of ostreopsis dino cells (sesame seed shapes), good view of wedge diatoms, green filament at bottom that looks like derbesia/bryopsis, other filamentous algae in this view - by comparison - may not be a green at all, in fact this (and first pic) looks like maybe a match for ectocarpus, a brown algae. But that's just a guess.
The micro assists the macro but does not dispense it. In the identification of macro algae in general, the way they grow, where they are found, whether or not they have stolons, whether or not they are firmly attached to the base, their coloration and various other features visible to the naked eye are also very important. Microscopy enters with an auxiliary factor, but sometimes becomes "definitive" in the differentiation of similar macro aspects.

Regards

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The micro assists the macro but does not dispense it. In the identification of macro algae in general, the way they grow, where they are found, whether or not they have stolons, whether or not they are firmly attached to the base, their coloration and various other features visible to the naked eye are also very important. Microscopy enters with an auxiliary factor, but sometimes becomes "definitive" in the differentiation of similar macro aspects.

Regards

Any idea on diagnosis?

A.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's not a bad scope?

Can I get a eye piece camera to hook up and connect to my Mac?

Not bad at all. Olympus makes some very nice optics even their older ones. You can use software to improve the white balance as mentioned above.

I prefer sensors made for the specific application. A phone camera is ok but made for general use. Like a deep space camera will want large pixels with lower resolution comparatively,excellent low light and with stacking will produce amazing results.. A microscope sensor will want high fps at higher resolutions if looking at live specimens and tiny pixels.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seems like it should, but I haven't used that type of scope before, so not sure.

For the price I'd hesitate....for <$9 try this:

For the price you're looking at you can get a better version of that toy scope that has a metal body (steadier viewing) and comes with a case and nicer set of accessories.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially purchased this microscope:
Screenshot_20181116-103940_Samsung Internet.jpg

I was able to see that I had dinos, but the plastic lenses blurred the images and the light source made it hard to see...it actually illuminated my own eye's vitreal floaters and made it difficult to see what was actually on the slide. Plastic optics are just terrible! So, I returned it and picked up this one:
15444053070334298996778333663259.jpg

This is an Amscope M150C model and around $85... it's wonderful. Very clear images, fine tuning focus, glass optics. Im actually enjoying looking at all the crazy things in my tank...sadly, but including the dinos! He are some decent pics for clarity gettin this scope:
20181203_171409.jpg

20181209_190558.jpg

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my microscope yesterday and got to play with it a bit to look at my phyto culture that has been split several times now.

Here are some pics of the culture that was done on 5/15/19 (just used the last of that batch from the fridge)
All pics were taken with my iPhone looking through one of the stereo eyepieces.
The 2000X one was viewed with immersion oil;

D2421C7C-1C9D-4D82-A53E-881C607982E0.jpeg 29F0E17B-1D96-4813-B2CB-773096258DF7.jpeg 63CD47CD-A1DA-4360-9EF7-53BC9F142B64.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back