OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably never need a microscope again. Is it really required to buy $100+ microscope? Can I get away with really cheap ones? If so, what would be acceptable?

Check out post #66 where I made my pick...another link was posted on #107.

Works fine for most basic purposes....you'll want something better if you end up getting serious about it, but you won't feel back cuz you spent so little on your starter. And you don't have to spend a lot to get "better". $50 will get you a metal body, which is very nice to have. The catch is that there are LOTS of upgrades that makes sense...and most of them cost a lot. So I wanted to be a little sure of what I really needed before I make that bigger buy. I had zero scope experience when I started this. (Still have almost zero.)

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out post #66 where I made my pick...another link was posted on #107.

Works fine for most basic purposes....you'll want something better if you end up getting serious about it, but you won't feel back cuz you spent so little on your starter. And you don't have to spend a lot to get "better". $50 will get you a metal body, which is very nice to have. The catch is that there are LOTS of upgrades that makes sense...and most of them cost a lot. So I wanted to be a little sure of what I really needed before I make that bigger buy. I had zero scope experience when I started this. (Still have almost zero.)

Ah thank you for that post!

I only want the microscope to see what kind of Dinos I have. Hopefully I won't ever need to know again.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems there's a new player from India in the online microscope market called Radical.

They seem to have an extremely sensible design and competitive prices....I'm eyeballing this:

$155 isn't bad for semi-planar lenses, clamp-on 3D stage AND 2µ ultra-fine focus.

This is appears to be mid-range for their student line, which runs from about $90-$500.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems there's a new player from India in the online microscope market called Radical.

They seem to have an extremely sensible design and competitive prices....I'm eyeballing this:

$155 isn't bad for semi-planar lenses, clamp-on 3D stage AND 2µ ultra-fine focus.

This is appears to be mid-range for their student line, which runs from about $90-$500.
$155 is a great deal.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think a clip-on 3D stage is as good as a built-in one?

Or at least "worth it" compared to moving the slide around by hand?

I've never used either one, so I'd like to know! :)

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of this scope? I'm just learning how to use it.

5dceeb17881c0410136e57e794151d6d.jpg

Olympus KHC binocular microscope. @jason2459 @Bob Stohrer

A.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice scope. It's basically like the student scopes I use, but with 2 better features: better slide holder, and binocular.
Honestly, for me a good smartphone camera used carefully can push the optical limits of the system further than a digital camera in place of eyepiece.
But that's just me.
Nice shots of hydroid and amphipod, btw.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, I guess it's good enough for me to identify the pest algae I have. What magnification shall I use?

Thanks,

A.
100x is usually plenty to distinguish between diff genus of dinos, diatoms, etc.
At 480x I can make out lots of structure within cells, and even some bacterial wiggles.
I don't actually have higher power than that.
( dinoflagellate flagellum resolved at 480x)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh, you've got all kinds of goodies!

Just grabbed this algae from my rock

X1000

X400

X100

Same sample just slide adjusted.

X400

A.

1st pic, filamentous algae. clear segmentation, so not bryopsis or derbesia, not thin slices like a cyano, looks close to cladophora but not quite right. gonna defer to others, @Jose Mayo
2nd pic lots of small wedge-shaped epiphytic diatoms something like licmophora, etc
3rd at least 2 diff kinds of filamentous algae (see 4th pic), man, that's a lot of tiny diatoms, and a few ostreopsis dino cells.
4th great shot of ostreopsis dino cells (sesame seed shapes), good view of wedge diatoms, green filament at bottom that looks like derbesia/bryopsis, other filamentous algae in this view - by comparison - may not be a green at all, in fact this (and first pic) looks like maybe a match for ectocarpus, a brown algae. But that's just a guess.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh, you've got all kinds of goodies!

1st pic, filamentous algae. clear segmentation, so not bryopsis or derbesia, not thin slices like a cyano, looks close to cladophora but not quite right. gonna defer to others, @Jose Mayo
2nd pic lots of small wedge-shaped epiphytic diatoms something like licmophora, etc
3rd at least 2 diff kinds of filamentous algae (see 4th pic), man, that's a lot of tiny diatoms, and a few ostreopsis dino cells.
4th great shot of ostreopsis dino cells (sesame seed shapes), good view of wedge diatoms, green filament at bottom that looks like derbesia/bryopsis, other filamentous algae in this view - by comparison - may not be a green at all, in fact this (and first pic) looks like maybe a match for ectocarpus, a brown algae. But that's just a guess.

Wow, now how do I go about getting rid lol. Would it be best I link my tank thread here? Then take the discussion away so this thread isn't taken over.

Thanks,

A.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, now how do I go about getting rid lol. Would it be best I link my tank thread here? Then take the discussion away so this thread isn't taken over.

Thanks,

A.
Yeah, probably so!
Also one more comment on microscope + phone pics. You may find you can adjust white balance on phone camera to account for the yellow light of the old microscope bulb, and get truer color pics - color is surprisingly helpful in putting an organism in the right identification ballpark.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also one more comment on microscope + phone pics. You may find you can adjust white balance on phone camera to account for the yellow light of the old microscope bulb, and get truer color pics - color is surprisingly helpful in putting an organism in the right identification ballpark.

I'm glad you pointed this out....I've wondered what difference tungsten lighting made aside from heat!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back