OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t u call a science focused university and see their thoughts on what scope U should get

That's too long of a list of people to potentially annoy! ;) But a good idea anyway. :D I did touch base with someone at the SRAC about their Amyloodinium PDF once and they were very helpful.

I may do that! :)

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....just tack on a zero (or two) to any price I've considered paying, right? ;)

Yes, you are correct on pricing! Add a zero or two.

It's a real tough question regarding what to buy. Like many things, you get what you pay for. Should you buy the Ford Focus or the Ferrari? What do need it for? I have bought mostly Nikon & American Optical for my labs. We needed top quality imaging, flexibility ruggedness and minimal eyestrain. Some of these scopes were used 40+ hours a week. As reefers, we don't need all those qualities. Personally, if I were in the market, I would go with a basic binocular or tri (400X, maybe 1,000X) that has the capabilities to be upgraded. Maybe in the $150 to $300 range. Similar to what Jason has. From what you describe as your needs/wishes, that should fit your needs/budget to start with. I have similar needs and I only yank out my ancient scopes once a year or so. I couldn't justify spending much more for my home scope. I never need to go above 400X at home and I don't wish to photograph.

From the comments of others, I think the Amscopes sound like good values for hobbyists.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct on pricing! Add a zero or two.

It's a real tough question regarding what to buy. Like many things, you get what you pay for. Should you buy the Ford Focus or the Ferrari? What do need it for? I have bought mostly Nikon & American Optical for my labs. We needed top quality imaging, flexibility ruggedness and minimal eyestrain. Some of these scopes were used 40+ hours a week. As reefers, we don't need all those qualities. Personally, if I were in the market, I would go with a basic binocular or tri (400X, maybe 1,000X) that has the capabilities to be upgraded. Maybe in the $150 to $300 range. Similar to what Jason has. From what you describe as your needs/wishes, that should fit your needs/budget to start with. I have similar needs and I only yank out my ancient scopes once a year or so. I couldn't justify spending much more for my home scope. I never need to go above 400X at home and I don't wish to photograph.

From the comments of others, I think the Amscopes sound like good values for hobbyists.

Hope that helps!

It does! I feel good about the first step I just took.....for $12 I figure as long as it isn't broken it'll be worth the purchase (I have a 4 year old!):

Yoptote Science Microscope Kit for Children 100x 400x 1200x Refined Scientific Instruments Toy Set for Early Education

...and at $12 it'll leave plenty of budget for the REAL scope after I get a little experience under my belt. :)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol @ the frequently bought together option

402a5557a915d920dbd6498156bc71fe.jpg

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scope from post #66 arrived today, along with the smartphone mount.

The scope is SMALL but it seems to work really well on 100x, 400x and 1200x judging from the quick test I did with the pre-made slide it came with.

@saltyfilmfolks I got the macro lens for my phone too....pretty sweet from initial tests, especially for the price! (Got fish-eye and super-wide lenses in the set too.) I guess this must be at least similar to what the USB microscope experience is like.

More to come....pics!!!!

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$12 for a real, functional (toy) microscope.

$28 for a smartphone mount + bluetooth shutter release.

For the price, I feel silly for not having a scope like this around 10 years ago....or whenever "toy" scopes got so cheap!

I'm now of the opinion that everyone who has a reef should have at least a lux meter and microscope (each about $12) as basic equipment. It seems crazy that we all don't given the amount of problems each tool could potentially solve! :D

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some decent views out of a naked, wet slide, BTW, but everything is very jiggly – I suppose that's one reason that cover slips exist. But I don't have any.

Can someone suggest some other basic supplies I'll need to do this better?

Please be specific when possible.....link me! :)

Cover slips?
Maybe a better dropper? (using the one from my refractometer)
Maybe more slides? (it came with 4)

Anything else?

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here are a couple of videos (any idea what the critter is?):

Hey you've got nematodes too! I believe taricha said that most of us do.

Cover slips?

Anything else?

I ordered this when I got my scope just to have sort of an all in one kit. You may find one a little cheaper though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6L3SZV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some decent views out of a naked, wet slide, BTW, but everything is very jiggly – I suppose that's one reason that cover slips exist. But I don't have any.

Cover slips?

Anything else?

You definitely want cover slips and I always mount wet. I also just use a 3ml dropper to pull a sample out of the tank and a few times plastic tweezers. Be warned the cover slips are sharp and can be dificult to make sure you have a single one. They can stick together.

Keep your lens, slips, and slides clean
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...dpPl=1&dpID=51y3xmSsd1L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Slides and slips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...cover+slip&dpPl=1&dpID=31f4763nXYL&ref=plSrch

And sime rubbing alcohol. I like alcohol wipes as well.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459 or anyone else that feels qualified to answer, I just got off the phone with Amscope and they said the microscope is only whatever the objective multiplier is when using the camera. So I took a video of phytoplankton on my microscope with a 40x objective and the camera that came with it. According to Amscope that was only a 40x video and not the 1000x I thought it was.

So was the Rep I talked to correct or does the camera have a magnifying lens on it similar to a regular eye piece?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459 or anyone else that feels qualified to answer, I just got off the phone with Amscope and they said the microscope is only whatever the objective multiplier is when using the camera. So I took a video of phytoplankton on my microscope with a 40x objective and the camera that came with it. According to Amscope that was only a 40x video and not the 1000x I thought it was.

So was the Rep I talked to correct or does the camera have a magnifying lens on it similar to a regular eye piece?
What are you mounting the camera with? Resolution?

Like my usb camera has a .5x adapter and is 5mp 2592x1944 . It's somewhere between using my 10x and 25x eye pieces and to me is closer to the 25x.

But I've always referenced the magnification like a 10x as 10x is just easy to multiply by. [emoji4]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back