Self-sufficient set up

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m a quadriplegic and I’m gonna need help from my father and brother to keep up with the tank. With that said what is the most hands-free/maintenance free approach to my mixed reef tank, where I’m going to be wanting to grow coral to sell locally.

I know I’m gonna need an auto water top off but what can I use to test and dose the tank accordingly without having to do it manually?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m a quadriplegic and I’m gonna need help from my father and brother to keep up with the tank. With that said what is the most hands-free/maintenance free approach to my mixed reef tank, where I’m going to be wanting to grow coral to sell locally.

I know I’m gonna need an auto water top off but what can I use to test and dose the tank accordingly without having to do it manually?
Apex system Neptune apex system sorry to hear about your condition congrats on not letting it hold u down and going for it. Get automated water change aswell

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

trying to get some people here that are more experienced then me 2 chime in on this subject for you bud

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pumps can be used to adjust levels through an aquarium controller which is the simplest solution that does not need much maintenance. There are also a couple of automatic alkalinity testers out there that can be used to help regulate the dosing of 2 part. Other option if you have a larger system or really heavy coral load would be a calcium reactor controlled with a peristaltic pump. The calcium reactor can be a little more pricey of an option and a little more complex to setup.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If there is a shopping list persay, I can create, it would consist of:
Necessities:
Dosing unit - Economy -Jebao DP4 or Good- Bubble Magnus bt-01
Good lighting - Ai Prime or Hydra 26. OR Kessil A30n or W models
Good water flow
Test Kit - Hanna or Salifert most user friendly and accurate to +/- 1
Protein skimmer - Economy - IceCap K2-50 Good- Reef Octopus Or Bubble magnus Curve 5
Heater: Finnex or ViaAqua titanium unit
Sump which can manage the tank and frag tank
RODI unit

Optional:
Controller unit such as Apex EL . . . . . Economy - Reefkeeper lite
Heater controller such as Inkbird
Algae scrubber
ATO as it can also be done manually

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium I work at has a number of automated systems; temperature, ozone, water levels, filter backwash, pump operation, etc. Today, our computer network dropped out so I'm not able to monitor things - very scary!

I have NOT used this, but the ghl profilux system from Europe looks amazing (but pricey!). Here is a link:

Jay

OP
OP
Dmat21

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly want some thing to test and dose for me hands-free

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Dmat21

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkatronics or neptune trident
Which one is better quality and more hassle free? And when I keep looking at all the trident stuff it’s confusing on what I would actually need to Go about the testing and dosing all in one? Thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Which one is better quality and more hassle free? And when I keep looking at all the trident stuff it’s confusing on what I would actually need to Go about the testing and dosing all in one? Thanks
trident but there has been issues with refills out of stock at times

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to get some people here that are more experienced then me 2 chime in on this subject for you bud
I found a couple people that I reached out to I hope their information helps you out I see them commenting on your forum they also responded my messages I sent them just wanted to do all I can to try to help you have a successful reef and business I know it's not much but best I could do at the moment I wish you the very best of luck and hope you have great success in your endeavor

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to help but a lot of this tech stuff really confuses me. We grow and sell coral from our home. I think the thing that has helped me the most is having a business partner (my son) My eyes are failing me as I age and unfortunately I really cant see detail enough to frag zoas and such. But my partner can see them fine so he does it. He has a hard time warming up to strangers, so I do that. We split the money. A good partner can help a lot.
When you get ready to sell, hit me up and I am always looking for corals (and always have cheap ones available.)
Cheers! Mark

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back