• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sellers: Be Careful of this likely scam

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not going to post the username in case Im wrong. However, got this odd feeling that i was being scammed.

A buyer reached out to me interested in buying a radion. He sent the payment, but his address is not confirmed on paypal. Country was set to Costa rica instead of United States. I figured it was a simple mistake.

I checked the address and led to a business (also wont post here but if youre interested, PM me). I looked it up and it has a history of package disappearing and sellers having to deal with claims.

I asked the buyer to change the country on his paypal from Costa Rica instead of United States and get it confirmed. He refused and offered to pay me for shipping costs. He then decided to ask for a refund. I refunded.
*Side note - Paypal will not cover seller protection even if the mistake is obvious like above. The address was a US address but with Costa Rica as the country.

Anyway, I do believe this was a scam considering the reviews on the business address and the sequence of events that followed.

Moral of the story, sellers should not send without a confirmed address from paypal.

Mods - if in the wrong place, I apologize, but I figured I should share.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please PM me this member name. Thank you!

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last three weeks, I was scammed on two separate occasions on high priced items. It was not on R2R, but it was on a reputable site.

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure to only send items with verified addresses so at least youre covered by Paypal.

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same member, but I was selling an apex and a guy in Costa Rica wanted to buy it. I told him no problem except it would only be shipped to a US address and his family could forward it to him. That's how we worked it out. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, glad it worked out for you.

The buyer wouldnt change his paypal to address to United States (so it will be covered by Paypal seller protection). Then offered to pay for shipping.

Again, Im not 100% sure he was trying to scam me. Either way, im glad i didnt do the deal with him and just dealt with another member.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so easy for a buyer to scam a seller through paypal, even with verified addresses. Its best to sell to fellow members that have some sort of good feedback and/or a relative long time on the forum.

OP
OP
Voltaire81

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so easy for a buyer to scam a seller through paypal, even with verified addresses. Its best to sell to fellow members that have some sort of good feedback and/or a relative long time on the forum.

Could you provide a couple of examples of how buyers can scam so we know what to look for?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I should as this is a public forum. You can simply use google and see numerous complaints about paypal/ebay siding with the buyers when they make a complaint for whatever reason and want their money back.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this should be bias. I don't think this is fair for the new member with limited budget. Not all new members are bad.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back