semi newbie questions

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I've had my tank up and running for just under a year now. I have a FOWLR set up. I have a few questions that I am hoping for some direction on. My tank size is 75g.

1) I have some really stubborn redish slimy algea that likes to settle on my sand and rocks. I have tried doing weekly 40% water changes as well as some treatments for cyanobacteria but don't seem to be having much luck. Some direction on this would be greatly appreciated! I also have a puffer so any type of clean up crew is a no go.

2) I seem to have a population of copods that is getting bigger. Is this good? Would it be beneficial to get a fish that feeds on them?

3) How deep should the sand bed be?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of puffer?
Generally puffers are a heavy bioload fish. You generally need a larger tank then a 75G

Scottybgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the slimy algae tend to fade away after lights out, and get heavier during lights on? What are your water parameters?

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano in my 75 gallon. I got a better return pump, a sand sifter, reduced feeding, and raised my Alk to 10-ish DKH. Not sure which one stopped but combined it went away. It took a month or so but it went away.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I have some really stubborn redish slimy algea that likes to settle on my sand and rocks. I have tried doing weekly 40% water changes as well as some treatments for cyanobacteria but don't seem to be having much luck. Some direction on this would be greatly appreciated! I also have a puffer so any type of clean up crew is a no go.
2) I seem to have a population of copods that is getting bigger. Is this good? Would it be beneficial to get a fish that feeds on them?
1- What type of treatments? What sort of flow do you have? What are your N and P numbers?
2- They are good. No need to get a fish that eats them.
3-A good depth is 2 inches. You can go less or more. A clean sand bed is more important than depth.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I've had my tank up and running for just under a year now. I have a FOWLR set up. I have a few questions that I am hoping for some direction on. My tank size is 75g.

red slime comes in many forms. to help id, go here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/positive-identification-of-cyanobacteria.253287/#post-2988946

pods are a good thing.

sandbed depth is subjective. more than 4” and you’re getting into deep sandbed territory which can create a whole slew of issues if you’re not careful.

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red algae may cyano, but would need more information on it. If it is, it is extrememly important that you turn off your skimmer during this treatment process. I didn't and just had it bubble and it didn't clear up. I retreated and used an airstone and turned off the skimmer and had great results. If you don't have much to turn the sand, something like a diamond goby would be great for a 75....depending on what else you have in there. As far as the sandbed goes, you can have up to 4-6" and be fine. Again, a diamond goby would do a GREAT job turning it over for you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back